1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Jumping Jack VS Vibratory Compactor!!!

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by instyle, Feb 4, 2008.

1. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

Which is better. I have never used a Jumping jack, and I have always rented a plate compactor. Now I am in the market to buy one. Which type do I get?
  2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

what are you compacting?..jumping jacks do a real nice job in ditches but leave an unsmooth surface. plate tampers leave a smooth surface but you would never want to compact a ditch with it
  3. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

4. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

You want a plate compactor jumping jacks are for a specific task not regular use.
  5. BDisselHardscape

BDisselHardscape LawnSite Member
    from MA

Check out the Wacker WP 1550 with the Honda engine its a great middle of the row machine and reasonable on the pocket!
  6. monty33

monty33 LawnSite Member

Purchase one and then get in the market for the other. If you are doing hardscapes, you need to show up at the job site with both more often than not. Jumping jack will compact the soils and the platey will compact your rock. If you can afford it, pick up a larger force platey, or you will end up with two. Some of the most important equipment you will own.
  7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Look for a decent sized wacker compactor on ebay.
  8. BDisselHardscape

BDisselHardscape LawnSite Member
    from MA

If the majority of your hardscapes is pavers and walls under 5' check out the wacker wp 1550 you can compact 4" to 6" lifts no problem. I guessing your more or less just starting out that compactor is the perfect machine for the majority of your work! get yourself established before you invest in a larger machine as Monty suggested. Check the Spec.
  9. Tom B.

Tom B. LawnSite Member

A jumping jack and plate compactor are two different machines. The only similarity is that they both compact. The manner in which they do compact is where you'll find the differences. You can buy the 1550, but you better have a jumping jack as well and I'd be a little leary about compacting in 4-6" lifts with the 1550. If you're a hardscaper and you don't show up with both, whether purchased or rented, there's a chance you're not installing things correctly. With that being said, I would (as Monty suggested) look into a bigger plate compactor than the 1550 or you will be wanting/needing a larger one in the near future.