Jungle Jack?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, Jun 11, 2006.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Another possibly dumb question. I have the Liftmaster on my Gravely, which utilizes the mower's hydraulic system to raise the front of the mower for service, but it is somewhat cumbersome for shop use. For that reason, I'd like to buy a Jungle Jack, or similar device for blade changes, etc.

I've never actually been up close and personal to one, but have seen pictures on here of them being used. From those pictures, it appears the jack is actually placed under the leading edge of the deck itself. My question is, does this cause a problem with floating decks such as that on my Gravely?

Also, any of you that own one, what brand would you recomend? Thanks.

2. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

If you don't change blades on route. Try using car ramps. Works great with my 50" DC.

3. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Good timing for this thread. I too am looking into a means of supporting my machines for servicing. I'm currently close to getting a "Super Jack" by Ballard: http://www.ballard-inc.com/superjack.htm

But now I question whether it would cause the back end of my Scag Z Cat to hit in the rear before the machine is fully hoisted. The Super Jack claims 24" lift. It is rated for 800lbs, I think whereas the Jungle Jack is 500. Granted, it's not lifting the whole machine off the ground, so weight probably isn't an issue. The Super Jack has 2 lift points as opposed to 1, but could make it harder to find a lift point on the machines. 1 lift point has more versatility where you can set it to lift a machine, but don't know about stability.

Looking forward to the responses. With all the rain we've had, I'm getting tired of rolling up on the trailer ramp and standing on my head to clean under the deck. Blade removal is a chore as well.

hillndale:headphones:

4. sicklid

sicklid LawnSite Member

I use a jungle jack on my mini-z which has a floating deck and I have never had a problem lifting it. Once the jack is pulled all the way down and the mower is lifted, it is surprisingly stable. I also considered the super jack with the two lifting points but I felt it would be in the way. With the Jungle jack you can lift from almost anywhere on the leading edges of the deck. If you are squeamish about getting under it while lifted just get some jack stands as a fail safe.

5. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

I bought a jungle jack but had to return it. It did not lift my mower high enough for me to get my impact wrench under. Make sure you measure and see how much room you need. I liked it, but only wish it had more lift.

6. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds odd. I use a 1/2" impact and a deep socket and still have room to play. But since you returned it and you were there. Guess there is no point in discussing your diappointment. What type of mower were you using on so others dont run into same problem?

7. hillndale

from Maine

I saw your post (pics) a day or 2 ago showing your "Jungle Jack" holding up a Scag Z Cat. So how high is it at the front to get under it. You feel you have room to get the blade bolts out OK, clean the deck etc. I have a Z Cat too and so I'm thinkin' it might be fine as opposed to the Ballard Super Jack. How close does the back end come to touching the ground, when it's "all jacked up"?

thanks

hillndale:headphones:

8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I have a small floor jack in my truck, for my truck. It does double duty if you know what I mean.

9. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I researched the jungle jack on this site before mowing season and then bought one. it lifts my full size Lazer and Turf Tracers with ease and allows lots of access for my impact wrench. I should have had one of these a long time ago.

10. hillndale

from Maine

Was it easy to put together? It looks like a hassle & I hate putting stuff together. ( yeh I know that's weird)

hillndale