1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Jungle Jim Trimmer Rack - RANT

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by JonLawn, Jul 18, 2014.

1. JonLawn

JonLawn LawnSite Member

Last Fall I bought a single Jungle Jim trimmer rack for my trailer. It attached and held the trimmer well. I liked the design. I thought the construction was a bit light and the welds were not very good, almost tack welds.

This spring after a couple of months I saw the welds holding the rack to the base breaking. I brought it to a welder and he re-welded all around the racks, commented on the weak construction and said the new welds would hold. Great.

Then just last week I noticed new cracks, now through the base that hold the rack to the trailer. With a few wiggles the entire base cracked and the rack came right off of the trailer. At least I wasn't on the highway going 60mph and my trimmer goes through someone's windshield!

I contacted Jungle Jim with this information - they have a 2 year warranty and I only had this for 6 months. They said that because I had a weld put on the rack the warranty was void!

This is no way to treat a customer in this business. I suggest steering clear of Jungle Jim.

CrackedJungleJim.jpg

BrokenJungleJim.jpg

2. 01thump

01thump LawnSite Member
    from orlando

Should have had the welder build your trimmer racks in the first place...fabricators are not cheap but most of the time you only have to pay them once and it is a life time product..

3. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

Jungle Jim's racks are junk, had one for a year before 2 of the 3 spots broke apart. Xtreme trimmer racks are the way to go.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. AMC32

AMC32 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Lincolnton, NC

I ordered a set of the xtreme trimmer racks yesterday. Should be here Tuesday they look to be really strong and durable
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Alabama

Why so they could have welded thumbs and bounce and bend the shafts?

To op these are the best
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=178680

6. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a set of JJ's on my backup trailer because I got them cheap, I have trimmer traps for everything else. I'm very pleased with them, never had a lost or broken unit.

7. RollTide

RollTide LawnSite Member

Southertide, Do the blocks add much weight to the trimmer or edger? Those racks look like a good idea.

8. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Alabama

Lightweight Aluminum blocks the frames are made of Galvanize we used Galvanize to make playground equipment (all playground equip. is galvanize) at one of my old welding jobs, it is a lot more durable than that tin can metal used on JJ racks

9. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

The bottom plate in the OPs pic should be bolted to the floor of the trailer and the uprights should have been spot welded or bolted to the side rails. I don't care what kind of racks you purchase, they need support in at least two spots. Those racks would most likely still be in use if they were installed properly.

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You are 100% correct. Those are not designed to be mounted only at the bottom like that. Improper mounting is a major cause of that failure.