Jungle Jim Trimmer Rack

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joeg2246, May 27, 2005.

1. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

I have a gear caddy trimmer rack and was wondering if anyone else has a problem with thier trimmers spinning inside the rack while driving. If you have had this problem and found a solution I would love to hear about it.
    Thanks
    Joe

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I have all Shindaiwa equipment hanging in mine. The T 270's fit pretty snugly , but the T 25's and T 261's were a little loose. I just sleeved the arm with a couple of pieces of rubber hose to thicken the collar area to keep them in place. A buddy of mine used a section of steel pipe over the curved hook ends, and bent them in a little tighter for his Echos. Both seem to work well, I just didn't want to bend my rack and take a chance of weakening the steel or voiding any warranty with JJ's.

3. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

my stihl trimmer is pretty snug, but my echo edger spins. I might try some water pipe insulation or somethhing of that nature.

4. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I have a home made trimmer rack, and it came with some stiff black rubber to hold the tool snugly. That was to thick to use, so I have been using a old sock for 4 years, to hold them in place. I know its tacky but it works.

5. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

I was thinking of something like that. I was going to use a C-clamp and just bend it on in to a snug fit. I think I might try the hose first as you suggested.
    Thanks for the ideas!!!

6. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

Back to the top. Hope to get some more ideas..
    Thanks
    Joe

7. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish I had the answer. This is the result after using Jungle gear caddy...The red paint, sure looks good....the trimmers will rattle around in the cradle and chew up the throttle cables and wires and wear out the cheap plastic tips they supply for the cradle. POS. Looks good though. Shop elsewhere....

jungle jims 001 (Medium).jpg

8. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

One thing to make sure is that the racks are mounted 37.5 inches from inside edge to inside edge. This made some difference. I purchased the trailer with the racks already installed. They were 42 inches apart and that was really bad for the motor end of trimmer. I have been in contact with Jungle Jim and sent pictures. The engineer is going to try to come up with some solution. I think it is going to involve bending the J-hook in so it conforms more with the grip. Another idea I had was to switch the racks around and use the hinge side on the grips of the trimmers. You would have to grind off the lock mechanism and re-manufacture another way to lock that end. Also the handle to lift up the hinge would have to be shortened just a bit to keep from hitting the lower housing on the trimmer. You would still have the ability to lock the other end of the trimmer which would suffice for me.