Jungle Wheels or Proslide?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Need a little help. I'm trying to decide between Jungle Jim's Jungle Wheels or a Proslide. The Jungle Wheels are already on the Exmark that I'm going to be buying (hopefully ;) ) but I don't think that the dealer will just give them to me. He might let me have the Jungle Wheels for half price or something, since they are already mounted on there. The reason that I want a Proslide is that I won't have to take it off on the smaller lawns. I've got some where I'll need a velke and some where I don't and even though it doesn't take long to take the Jungle Wheels off, it's still an inconvenience. Another thing is backing off the trailer. I'm getting a 5X10 so I won't have to go very far, but they still jacknife. Pros and Cons for both. I want to hear both sides. Thanks guys!

2. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Jungle Wheel. Well built and easy to remove if needed.

3. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

no need to remove the pro slide it folds out of the way works great on small lawns and soft ground doesnt leave ruts some say it slows the mower down but it never has slowed mine down i had it on a 13hp honda and fixing to put it on my exmark

4. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

With the jungle wheels get a piece of cable that attaches to the handles with a hook on it . After you load the mower on the trailor pull the Jungle Wheels up and hook them on then cable .There-for yo can pull the w/b off the trailor without jack-kniving the machine ,unhook the wheels and start cutting . The Jungle Jim Velke usually comes with this attachment.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Floridalandcare-That's a good idea! I'll see if I can get the dealer to include the Jungle wheels with the mower. I would like a Proslide, but if the Jungle Wheels comes with it, I'll just take that. What kind of attachment are you talking about that comes with the velke? Do they give you a hook thing or something of that nature? Thanks!

6. First off let me correct you all.

Velke is a registared trademark of Wright mfg for the 1 and 2 wheeled Velke. Don't confuse this with the Junk Wheels that Jungle Jim makes.

Second Jungle Wheels come with a braided cable, hook and hardware to put on mower, if it doesn't "TELL" your dealer to find it.

Third, IS this your 3 or fourth post about this subject on the same products?

Fourth "Velke" wheels will fold up out of the way when you hook then up and can mow with them in the up position, unlike one of the other products you are inquiring about. Take just as long to hook them up, and unhook tham as the proslide to rise and put back down.

Pro's and Con's

Pro slide cannot be driven on pavement if you want them to last.

Velke can be hooked in the up position and still mow.

Jungle wheels do not spin all the way around, and the bushings sapport your weight and do wear out fast with daily grease.

JW you cannot put up and still mow.

None of these rut anymore than the mower will do on it's own.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

LGF-Thanks for clearing that up and correcting me about the velke. I suppose I have a decision to make within a week.

8. Hows that 118 doing?

There are times I wish I still had my 117.

BTW GrassyFras got a Velke II for his TTHP36" for x-mas. He loves it. I put it on for him.

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Heh, I wish I could get rid of it! I've got a plan for it....

I took a look at Velkes and Jungle Wheels websites. I like the 1 wheel velkes because they won't jacknife, just spin all the way around. It just comes down to price now. I'm not looking to spend a whole lot. Already looking for a trailer and trimmer racks, blower rack, and other items. Looking at the Trimmer mate from Jungle Jim becuase I only carry 1 trimmer. Going to get the Blower Mate too. It's on sale for like $35 and the trimmer mate is $50. I can get all set up for less than $100, which is great, since I had planned on paying about $300 or so to get setup from Trimmer Trap.

10. The 2 wheeled Velke pivots all the way around just like the 1 wheel one does.

Matter of fact it is the same arm as the 1 wheeled one.

They just added another pivot point so the wheels will follow the contour of the ground.

Also there are 2 ways to put the Velke II wheels up.

One is just hang them up, like the 1 wheeled one.

The other is you grab the upper part that your feet go in and swing them up so that part is still facing you. This makes about a 8" difference in the length of your mower when doing this.

This is also explained in the manual when you buy them.