Jungle Wheels question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BRIAN GALLO, Apr 3, 2002.

1. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a set of JW's for this season, and tried them out today. I liked the feature of the rear-weighted design to help push the front of the mower downward, however I had some traction problems today. It was a little wet out, but it seems that since the sukly is pushing the front castors down there is less weight on the rear wheels resulting in some wheel spin. Anybody else have this problem?

2. pilotcoplawnboy

pilotcoplawnboy LawnSite Member

It depends on how much you weigh. Sometimes if I am going up a hill and turning at the same time I have to step off with one foot and hop up to the top. Other than that, they are a life saver.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Can you just lean down on the handlebars to counter the weight and put more on the rear wheels?

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Don't know if you've noticed this but, as you start mowing faster, and/or go over bumpy ground, you will find the velky shakes back and forth and gets a little annoying. Plus this sends a vibration through your feet. If you are mowing for an hour, more or less, this becomes tiring. The problem is the wheels are too close to the pivot point and tend to oscillate.
    You can make the JW's much more comfortable by getting a local welder or friend to reweld the wheels rearward 3 inches. Also, I'd lower them 1 inch closer to the ground (raising the velky), while you're at it.
    Pete
    For Pete's Sake

5. Wright Mfg

Wright Mfg Guest

Switchless- Our one wheel velke doesn't shake like a two wheel one does because it's the two wheels that cause it to shimmy. If one of the wheels drops in a slight dip or hits a slight bump and the other side doesn't, it will cause the jerkiness. This has always been a selling point for the one wheel velke because with one wheel, it stays smooth as it hits holes and bumps. Also your feet stay parrallel to your hands because it tilts with the mower side to side (less fatigue). Yes the pivot distance to the wheel is a factor but has other negitive effects if you change it too much.

Brian- As far as a rear-weight design. We've always known that the more weight you put behind the sulkies wheel axle, the more traction you loose on the mowers drive wheels. That's why the velke brand is designed to allow you to move your weight back as needed but does'nt rear-weight it much when you are standing forward because you often need the traction.

Jim Velke

6. BRIAN FOLEY

BRIAN FOLEY LawnSite Member
    from ERIE,PA

Thus the reason that toro came out with the tru trak, it works great!

7. Wright Mfg

Wright Mfg Guest

But the Tru trak still makes you do a "stair stepping" motion that adds to the fatigue and feels unstable. If you wanted exercise equipment on the back of your mower, then you did ok. But you might as well walk then. LOL

Not to mention that it has the typical caster sulky problems. Like running into things when you turn close to them. Think about what would happen if your landscape trailer had casters! Also caster type sulkies are more difficult to start and stop turns and takes longer. Try turning a shopping cart quickly when a kid is riding on the front.

What did you pay for the Tru Trak?

JV

8. BRIAN FOLEY

BRIAN FOLEY LawnSite Member
    from ERIE,PA

$300 and it works better than any sulkie i have ever used.

9. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Someone needs to design the "ultimate sulky".

Maybe designed like the single wheel velke, but with a really wide tire (maybe low pressure) to ride smooth and not leave that stupid center tire track down the middle.

If you build it, I will buy it. ;)

10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Jim,
    As a long time user of your original Velky, when used with a belt drive WB, which is the only machine it should be put on, IMO, it turns too fast underneath your feet and gives your ankles a real workout. Furthermore, under daily working conditions, slop develops very quickly, because of the enormous load put on the front assembly that attaches to the mower.
    If the load mechanism that attaches to the mower, was dispersed over a wider platform, a la bull/bronco rider, where an “A” frame is attached to each side of the mower, giving over 12 inches between centers, less slop would develop. And, with a much greater distance between pivot spots, the amount of perceived slop transmitted to the Velky arm would be 2 to 3 times less.
    To continue, from my experience owning both, the one wheel Velky is drastically more uncomfortable than a two wheel Velky whenever bumps or holes are encountered. Having only one wheel, the OWV (one wheel Velky) just can’t compete with a TWV (two wheel Velky) over rough ground. Furthermore, a OWV must, by definition, carry more air pressure than a TWV, simple because it has a smaller area to support your weight This fact alone, gives the TWV a better ride, not to mention that any bumps or holes, are hit by only one wheel, or “half” the total running area.
    As far as drawbacks from moving the wheels back on a TWV, this modification far out weighs any rider movement that might result. Also, I must disagree that “shimmying” from a “TWV” is from having two wheels. Regardless, after much experimenting, moving the wheels rearward basically “eliminated” the wobble or shimmy that your product or Jungle wheels, exhibits.
    I realize that this modification imparts to the rider, a movement toward the machine and opposite to the turn. However, since these velkies should be used by only belt WB’s, turning should not be that sharp, otherwise devoting of the grass will occur. OTOH, I also realize that there are many operator using belt WB’s that go into a turn and just lock up the inside wheel with no regard for the grass. For those operators, I’m sure worrying about rider movement is not a concern.
    Pete
    For Pete’s Sake