jungle wheels vs riding mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 18, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

can anyone tell me, what is the difference? when my client base grew very quickly, and i realized there was no way i was walking behind a mower, and doing all the extras, i almost bought an exmark lazer, for like $7,000. then, for less than $300, i decided to try the wheels. no need to ride anymore, i can do 20 lawns a day, with my wheels, and when i get home, i need to run around the block 5 times, just to get tired. what is the difference? i don't think there is one. i can cut in 4th, get a nice cut, and not break a sweat

2. MORETORQUE

MORETORQUE LawnSite Member

If you are just doing residentials a midsize is the way to go. Small residentials pay way better than big ones so a good midsize is better. I find the big riders tear the small residentials up. Stay with what works for you.

On a big commercial property a good 60"(PLACES WHERE YOU ARE MOWING 6 HOURS STRAIGHT) or bigger rider will tear that midsize up in productivty not to metion save your A$$.

I found the best do it all mower I have used was the old style great dane stander. It kicked butt on residential and commercial.

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually BG, for props the size of the ones you service - demo a wright stander - it is the perfect machine for small-med resis. Great visibility, small trailer space, its hydro so you're not locking brakes like w/ your belt drives when turning, visibility is great and oh yeah, you can get under lower tree branches as compared to a w/b. Well for my giraffe size, I could squat down real low and as long as the control levers cleared, so would I, but your troll sized body might need platfrom shoes to see over the controls. I couldn't resist ribbing you a little. Have a happy Fathers day ya mutha :D

4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I will take a ztr over a WB with a sulky any day. You will then need to run around the block 100 times. :D

5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

The stander is the best all around mower. You can go from the postage stamp lots to the 3 acre lots with the same machine. And since you are standing not sitting, your customers don't think you are lazy for sitting on your butt all day.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, I have two 48" prolines that tear up the residentials at the rate of 10 yards/day (actually the '98 does 8 for sure and maybe 10, the '05 does 10 average, record is 12). Of course it's really only good up to 1 acre because as someone else mentioned, the ztr's will run over the wb's in large lots. Alas, most of mine are less than an acre.

7. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had both and in some ways i liked the WB better like hills and goin over bumps and it never tore up grass but the Z will get the job done in no time at all.

8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

if you use both you'll see the difference. Like DLS1 said, you'll need to run alot more to get tired. The w/b sulky still wears you down some because of the bumps/standing/working of the controls. Using a Z your sitting (in your case using the cup holders drinking beer) its a smoother ride, can go faster and has less fatigue on the arms/hands. I use a w/b with sulky but in the next few weeks I'm getting a Z, the w/b is killing my wrist.

9. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

WB/sulky = Debt free, stress-free, lot cheaper
    Z= stressful monthly payment
    You have to be sure on your accounts that you won't lose them fast during your years of payment on that Z, and additional repair cost also should be factored in.
    I have a friend who bought a 44 Z and a 36 hydro WB combo on loan, he did so great for 1 1/2 seasons but once too many accounts, he started loosing them very fast, and sad part, one day the Z snapped on belt and pump had to be in the shop for weeks, his 36" could not keep up with the amount load of work that he has acquired from the beginning...
    so he lost more than halt of accounts and never regain again....now he still made the payment on the equipment, of course, loan.
    You have to be sure on your financial income and how you do...
    It is scary.

10. MORETORQUE

MORETORQUE LawnSite Member

It depends on what you are doing? For residentials I feel you target neighborhoods with small lot's,I have flyers made up and on them I advertise the fact that we will be walking their property and not using a big Z on it.

I do not care what anybody says a good midsize does a much nicer job than a Z PERIOD! For residentials small ones this is the most profitable angle in my veiw. This time of the year I pay a school kid in a neigborhood every week to pass out flyers and I purposely attack the clowns that feel they have to use a 1000 pound machine on a 5000 square foot lawn.

Trust me it works big time. But now after all these years I have learned commercial is the way to go if you are going to be professional.

Some of these commercial accounts will pay whatever as long as the work is done the same day everyweek and done right. Right on a commercial and residential are 2 different things. Most commercial's are not near as nitpicky!