jungle wheels

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 26, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

how much of a strain do they put on a mower? trying to weigh the pros and cons. i was told you can plan on replacing the trans about once every 2 yrs. is this true? how much is a new trans for like a 36, or 48" walkbehind?

2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Bobby, I don't have the Jungle wheels but rather a Velky X2 and my Metro with the 12.5 Kawi pulls me just fine. I have also not had any tranny problems as of yet and the mower is an '01.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

how long you been using the wheels?

4. Lazer_Z

from NJ

I got the velky like 2 or 3 days after I bought the mower and the mower is going to be 4 years old in July. But lately I only use it on a few BIG property's that could be walked but I'd rather ride.

5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

BG, IMHO, I think the extra track in the turf look like crap. Also, if you don't have a hydro, I suppose you'd be locking up the brakes a little more while making turns, that spells turf tears, which we all know is not a good thing. Either go w/ a stander or similar unit, hydro for the jungle wheels/velke, or rider.

6. Lazer_Z

from NJ

Bobby, I have to agree with Turfdude on this one it is a royal PITA to turn with a belt. That's why I'm thinking of going to a hydro I already got a price from my dealer and have already seen my future mower. I just now have to decide what type of ride on attachment to get.

7. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

if your gonna get wheels get the swivel wheel it's expensive but it is easier to use plus you can back up with it. Only strain on the mower is the weight pivioting on the drive tires some times tracktion gets screwed up and you gotta hop off her and there. well worth it I put wheels on and gained 15lbs back!

8. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

i also have a set of jungle jims that I want to sell cheap just want them out of my garage.

9. Lazer_Z

from NJ

Drew, What would you recommend? The mower is an eXmark Turf Tracer HP. It's the baby of the TT lineup at 36" but a 36" fits my needs.

Thanks
    Rob

10. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

I have Jungle Jims on my Metro HP and Turf Tracer HP (both 36") and I dont think I would trade them for any other sulky around. I have no problems maneuvering either mower with them. I am a little put off at the thin gauge of metal used to fabricate them, and the recent fatiguing issues I have had with them, but overall I like the design and am willing to throw a few new beads of weld on it here and there as a compromise.

Kevin