Juniper blight on new plantings... Help, please.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mattfromNY, Sep 10, 2007.

1. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I planted 46 'Youngstown' Andorra Junipers last fall for a customer. The site is on a slope, quite shady with only about 3 hours of true morning sunlight daily. These Junipers are what was recommended by the local nursery for this type of site. They are planted at 48" intervals, so there is plenty of air around them, and they are not irrigated, or wet for long periods, however, we have had heavy dews at night for a while.
    Earlier this summer, 4 of them had died enough that I replaced them. Today I was out at the sight, and 6-8 of them have what appears to be a tip blight. I have been doing a little research, and everything I see says to treat in June or July. Being that it is September,are there any recommendations, in addition to removing the diseased wood, and disinfecting my tools between cuts??? What is the probability that these may or may not survive the winter.
    Thanks for any replies in advance,
    Matt.

2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

bump.... anyone, someone must be able to help me a little. Please.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Sure--treat with a fungicide--but--when weather cools off to about 45 at night fungus does not spread anymore. Fungicides are mostly preventative. You would prevent new infections.

Maybe the site is too humid and shady for this type plant. Maybe you can find a juniper which is more resistant to disease.

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Many Andorra junipers get 'phomopsis tip blight' right off the bat. We nolonger recommend planting them because of this. Chemical controls are largely ineffective. This juniiper is on several "do not plant" lists.

If it's not tip blight, I can't think of anything else it could be (no pictures needed).