Juniper Problem

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gregory, Sep 7, 2007.

1. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i got some junipers around my house and some of them in different areas are turning brn on the stems...anybody know whats going on with them.....i can post some pics tomorrow......

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Most common problem up here in cold country is "Phomopsis" fungus blight on tips of new growth. Daily sprinkler irrigation makes it worse.

On the other hand if individual branches turn brown sometimes it is a broken branch or mouse chewing injury near the base of the brance

3. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

check for red spider mites. take a white piece of paper and shake some branches over the paper. you see some sand like material on the paper, rub your hand over the paper if you get red smears probably mites

4. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Bug- guy you took the words right out of my mouth:usflag:

5. gregory

tks gusy i will check on that today.....never had a problem with them until now........

6. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

i've only seen mites and a fungus get these down here in fla.usually the fungus will start to effect the plant on one trunk line (and no sign of mites) where the mites will effect multiple trunks
    i think.

7. gregory

i haven't checked yet but it started with the junipers i have around my back porch then i seen some i have aorund the frt of my house...

8. gregory

bug guy thats what it is what do i need to spray them with talstar? or is there something better? tks for the help

9. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

That will work

10. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Check for bag worms. Pull them off and the juniper will be fine.