1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

juniper shrubs

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by G&Plawn, Aug 8, 2003.

1. G&Plawn

G&Plawn LawnSite Member

Hello iam a new LCO, G&P lawn & Ladscape Maintenance.
    Ive been getting a lot request for some pruneing of juniper bushes i was wondering if anyone had a good group of pictures of the different types of juniper shrubs. i was also wondering about proper maintenance ( pruneing,ground cover, watering, lighting). Thank you for any help
  2. G&Plawn

G&Plawn LawnSite Member

or any good websites that have good info about landscape plants and bushes. thanks again
  3. lucky4511

lucky4511 LawnSite Member

4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of the twiggy ones like Tam, may best be sheared rather than thinned.

Phitzer can be sheared, hand clipped, or cleaned from within to expose a branch pattern, or the latter with sheared forms on the end of the limbs.

Moonglow, or Wichita can grow up as tall columns, or be sheared tight into a narrow column - like one on my pruning page at www.mdvaden.com

Personally, I think Hollywood Juniper belongs as a small tree, thinned moderately and trained to have a branch structure.