Juniper Stumps, a truck and a chain?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4-Leaf, May 9, 2003.

1. 4-Leaf

4-Leaf LawnSite Member

So this lady has some juniper stumps in a landscaping bed. She wants me to take them out and she suggested hooking up a chain and snatching them out with a truck.

My head was nodding up and down in agreement so I could get the job but my brain wasn't so sure about the effectiveness of that method.

The stumps are fairly large as juniper stumps go .. and the soil is very sandy.

Anyone have any experiences or suggestions to share. I would appreciate it. - Thanks

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

If you us a chain, make sure that you hang a wet towel or heavy blanket over the center of the chain. This will keep it from hitting your truck(or you) if it breaks.

3. stang358

stang358 LawnSite Member

It depends on the truck. I use my truck all the time to pull bushes out. I use a tow strap and sometimes 2 if necessary. My truck is a Dodge 3500 4X4 with a Cummins Diesel. I have yet to run across a bush I couldn't pull out with it. If it is REALLY stubborn, I will put it in 4 wheel LOW and shift into 1st gear. MAJOR torque multiplication!

4. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I would suggest it if you have a 4x4. I use a tow strap. Wrap it twice around the trunk to choke it and zip.... it's out. The wet towel suggestion is the greatest idea I have heard here.

I love the tow strap. When I wrap the shrub, I then just put the two eye holes in the penel and then easily take them out and pull the next shrub out.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I just did this about 2 months ago for a lady. Juniper stumps are not that large (by that I mean deep). Have you considered just cutting the roots, at the stump and just pop the stump out? The three bushes took up about a 5 X 15 area, just to give you an idea of what I was working with.

MATT

6. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Before everyone starts "snatching" out stumps yall might want to call the utility companys and mark out the lines.

7. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i would water it really good to help loosen the soil .4x4 should rip it up

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

9. 4-Leaf

4-Leaf LawnSite Member

The people on this site are very helpful. I do appreciate it. Thank you all again.

10. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

For me it is usually the other way around. The old woman wants me to dig and dig for hours.

I'm usually the one who ends up having to convince the customer that I would rather jerk the obsolete stumps out with a truck or tractor.

KB