Juniper

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by BigMulch, Apr 14, 2012.

1. BigMulch

BigMulch LawnSite Member

How much would you guys charge to remove about 50sf of junipers that are about 3-4ft tall and spread 2yards of mulch in the flower beds. The guy has no room to dump it so i will have to take it away. Also what is the best way to remove jumipers

2. BigMulch

BigMulch LawnSite Member

Sorry it is just under 500sqft

3. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Junipers are alot of work to dig out the roots. It's dirty and scratchy. Wear long sleeves and long pants.

We took out a row 250 feet long by about ten feet deep. We had to use a small dump truck and a chain to rip them out of the ground. That took two guys most of a day and that was easy access. They were right next to the driveway at an HOA. So, I figure that was about 2500 square feet of junipers.

If they had to be taken out by hand, it would have taken most of a week in my opinion.

I'm guessing here, but 45 minutes per plant plus dump load and time? It's difficult to estimate this sort of thing unless I am actually there and can see sight conditions, access and the junipers.

GO CANUCKS GO

4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Next time you get a job like that get a tree company to come in cut them down and grind up the whole bed for you.

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Depending on the kind of Juniper, there really shouldn't be a lot of regrowth from the roots, if you just go ahead and cut them flush to the ground... charge enough extra for a quality new handsaw and hauling and dumping the nasty things...

Much cleaner surface to mulch over and should be done in 1/2 a day with one person... your biggest time waster is hauling brush ...

6. BigMulch

BigMulch LawnSite Member

I can use a truck and a chain to take out about 95% of them I was thinking about 850 with 2 yards of mulch
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

How long do you think it will take? $850 seems a bit high.

8. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

All depends what you have do the job Skidloader or tractor and chain with out seeing the job to hard price anything to pop one out be less then 5 mins
    I did 20 junipers that was installed 20 yrs a go took me longer hook chain up

9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

There is the story in a neighboring town in which a fella was pulling up some roots and brought up the city gas line along with them... :)

10. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

So do not charge less than your deductable right:laugh: