Junipers and weeds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Scott's Lawn Maintenance, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Scott's Lawn Maintenance

Scott's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

What product could be used to spray weeds that come up thru ground cover
    junipers without harming the shrubs (post emergent) ?

2. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Ornamec from PBI Gordon is safe for juniper's & controls grassy weeds, but not broadleaf weeds. This works great to clean it up, then use something like Gallery & Treflan, or Snapshot to keep them from germinating in the first place:)

3. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

image and lontrel are labeled over the top for juniper. you cant use lontrel on residential turf but im not sure about residential landscaping

4. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

I've used Image around labeled junipers without problems and vantage is another to look at

5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Lontrel is OK as a spot directed application around tolerant residential ornamentals. It will affect polygoniums, asters, and legumes. Keep that it mind when considering what is tolerant and what wil be killed.

6. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

look at sethoxydim @ jdl/lesco

7. cmrgrounds

cmrgrounds LawnSite Member
    from augusta

ornamec is crap, i used it to kill burmuda growing in some loriope and it killed the loriope and not the grass

8. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

CMR,
    Did you use the Fluazifop at 10 oz. per gallon to kill the grassy weeds.?
    Was it the varigated variety because it can be sensitive to herbicides for some reason!
    I have used it around mondo grass and big blue liriope with no ill effects, but if too strong it will become non-selective!