Junipers

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mcwlandscaping, Apr 7, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I have a renovation job lined up and it calls for removing A LOT of very matured juniper groundcover. Anyone know the best way to remove this? I am thinking a mini Excavator would work and i can rent one for one of the days for this job. Anyone have any other ideas on how to get this stuff out? thanks

mike

2. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

How about a chain and 4X4 as long as you can find the trunk?

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know if that will work, its groundcover....does it have one central trunk to it? if so then im all for that idea.

4. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

If you pull up a few limbs (legs?) you'll see that they do indeed have a primary central trunk to each section. I would get a good stiff aircraft cable with a swaged loop on both ends and a couple of climbing grade caribiners. Loop the cable around the trunk, the clip the caribinber off around the cable so that it acts like a slip knot. Attach the other end to a tractor or skid steer and apply steady even pressure until they come out. Junipers (at least most of them) are not deeply rooted, but can be widely rooted. Aircraft cable won't store energy like rope or strap, and is easier to handle and work with than chain. Avoid the temptation to "get a run at it". Steady even application of pressure works best and avoids damaged equipment and emergency room visits. If you can't pull it out without jerking, you can't pull it out and need more (bigger) equipment.