Jury Duty

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TBLC, Jun 3, 2005.

1. TBLC

TBLC LawnSite Member

Well had Jury Duty on Wednesday and guess what. I Got Picked. I tried to be a jerk, but I guess they saw right through that. It was only for 2 days, well more like 1 and a half. Thursday I managed to do a little catching up in the afternoon. Its raining now. I should be good by the weekend though.

Just wondering how many of you guys have had to do this, and how did you deal with it? Mainly solo operators and people with 1 or 2 helpers.

It was a civil case, and we found the defendant no responsible for the car accident. Took us about 15 minuets to come to that decision.

I made $21.40 and spent $10.00 on lunch.

Later Jimmy

2. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I always tell em I know the guy.

3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been called for Jury Duty twice since I started my business in 1990. Each time I wrote a letter to the clerk of courts explaining that I was a 1 man operation and contractually obligated to mow on a specified day each week for my customers. I was excused each time. Just one more reason for you to have ALL of your customers under contract!

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I got called in April last year. I called the and explained my situation. They were very understanding and ask if I could come in after my busy season. I went in January and got on a 3 day case.

5. scout_pete

scout_pete LawnSite Member

Don't commit perjury, but it's not that difficult to find some sort of a connection to most cases. When they go through the selection process, listen carefully for the names of attorneys, businesses involved, even policemen in the case. If you or someone in your family has been part of a similar situation and you might be biased, make sure you tell the judge. They don't want people on juries that don't want to be on juries. The real PITA is waiting for three hours and then being dismissed for the day. :angry:

6. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the folks who suggest that you explain your position to the court. If you work at IBM, they can do without you for a few days (or longer). If you have your own business, things can get really screwed up if you're not there.

The last time I got called for jury duty, the judge brought this point up at the beginning and excused a bunch of people who were self-employed within the first 10 minutes we were there.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I was on jury duty but it was in the winter. It was the experience of a lifetime. It was a murder case. I think it lasted 8 or 9 days. Thank God we weren't sequestered.
    I went in with an open mind to all sides but in the end the verdict was guilty on all counts.
    I would do it again but it does take an emotional toll when all is said and done.

8. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Got picked once....was also being a jerk...second time, I told them I was Pro-law enforcement.....if you get arrested, you are guilty...didn't get picked.... :D

9. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I got a letter saying I had to appear about 3 months ago. I threw it away. I don't have the time nor desire for that.

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

that was smart.