Jury rigging equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, Dec 30, 2002.

?

Jury rigging equipent

1. I fix it right the first time, every time

47 vote(s)
    43.1%
  2. I jury rig it until I get around to fixing it right

57 vote(s)
    52.3%
  3. I jusy rig it, who cares, it still works

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. I don't fix it at all, I run it till it stops

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I just wanted to get an idea of how many people fix their equipment right the first time when it breaks, jusry rig it until a permanent fix can be made or just jury rig it until it won't go any longer. You can just vote on the poll or you can leave a comment about what you do and why.

At this time all of my eqipment is 100% except for my Husky chainsaw. It needs a new chain.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

How can this many people view this poll and not "vote"? You can be honest because we have no way of knowing who you are unless you leave a comment.

3. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

I fix it right away, if I do not it will haunt me later. :)

4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Richard, I voted " Fix it right the first time". If it's something simple that I feel confident fixing, I will do it myself but if not. it goes straight to the dealer where I bought it. I try to have backups for all my equipment to avoid excessive down time.

5. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Isnt it "jerry rig.??"

I fix it temp. if Im on the job and do not have the parts, but then I fix it ASAP.

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

I love a new piece of equipment. Means this winter I get to take it all apart, to see how it works, and put it back together again. Then when it breaks down on a job, I know if it's something to fix now right here, fix this Saturday, or wait until winter or send to shop for a real fix.

Usually no sense in wasting time for a jury rig, might as well do it right. But my best example of functional jury rig: throttle spring breaks on mower carb, so it can't maintain rpm's; engine dies as soon as blade hits uncut grass. 75% of this lawn done, and would waste 30-40 minutes to go get a part and return to job. Break out the coathanger, it's the same diameter as the hole for the spring on throttle shaft (remember, I took this machine ALL apart, LOL). Take 30 sec to bend coathanger to right angles, and finish mowing by manual throttle control. Then go to shop to get new spring and install - coathanger saved 30-40 minutes that day.

7. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

I carry enough back-ups so that if a machine goes down, it goes to the front of the trailer until the last job when it is put at the end. At the shop that night it is pulled and fixed right. Incomplete or partial repairs are time wasters and money losers.

8. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

temp fix for the day. or it goes to the dealer and the back up comes off the bench.

wouldn't spend more than 15 min though.

9. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Agree with Bubble Boy. If it breaks down in the field, I fix it with whatever method/tools are available to me...and do it quickly. When I get it home, I try to fix it properly or take it to the dealer.

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I will fix it right the first time unless I am really under the gun to get the job done and can Jerry-Rig within a few moments. When I get back to the shop it is fixed that night the right way. I expect a lot from my equipment but to be realistic I need to make sure it is all operating correctly to avoid downtime.

Gravely_Man