Just A Beginner

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by idreamgreen, Sep 8, 2006.

1. idreamgreen

idreamgreen LawnSite Member

I'm trying to start a landscaping business to finally get out of my current profession; meat manager, 19 yrs. I'm taking some correspondence courses to learn more about the business, equipment etc., but what about getting clients. I have heard door to door is the best and I've been given the "rock in a bag with my postcard thrown on the front lawn" tactic (although i'm skeptical about some of the legal ramifications of this one), but is there any other advice anyone can offer to better prepare myself and get the business off the ground?? Thanks in advance!!

2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

dreamgreen, when I decided in July this year to start mine, I made a flier and started by putting out about 1,000 in local area neighborhoods. I am still putting out fliers, adn looking at other ways to advertise. However, putting out the fliers (which I printed myself) was the least expensive method I fould to target a certain area and start to attract customer interest. I would stay away from the "Rock in a Bag" method, personnaly.

Also, if you know anyone in the business, contact them and let them know that you are starting up. There are alot of Solo guys out there that have all the work they can handle and they have to turn down business. Find a few of these guys and ask them if they will refer their new customer calls to you. I have gotten a few accoutns that way. I have a friend in the Business with 2 crews. He is getting larger work and larger accounts that he is going to start refering all of his residential calls to me (except for the Prime Upscale 3+ acre properties). All the calls I can get will help.

PM or email me at tlc.lawncare@comcast.net if you would like to talk over some ideas and what I have seen work, or not work in y few months in Business. I have about 18 yards in less than 2 months, so I do not think I am doing to bad.

3. BigLag

BigLag LawnSite Member

Total...did you go door to door with those fliers or mail?

4. Total.Lawn.Care

Actually, I printed mine two to a page so that in 500 sheets I got 1000 fliers that were 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 fliers. I rolled them and stuck them behind the flag on mailboxes in the middle of the night. I figure that I get about 1 call for every 100 fliers. About 2 customers for every 500. I did get several one time cuts from them, but no repeats on them, yet. I have a few of the one time customers that I am still trying to keep in touch with and get them on annual contacts for regular maintenance.

I am going to flier again this weekend. Put out about 2000 fliers I hope. I have several neighborhoods within about 8 miles of me that I have not hit yet. I have also found that customers will hold on to the fliers. The last fliers I put out on July 28th. I got a few calls on those fliers abotu 2 weeks ago. That was three weeks later.

I am going to continue fliering through the winter in hope that customers will put them on their fridge and call me when the grass needs to be mowed in the spring.

5. Total.Lawn.Care

Oh, I am also starting to flier for my newly added pressure washing service. (Gotta Have Winter GREEN>>>) I will let you all know how it goes.

6. BigLag

BigLag LawnSite Member

Is that illegal? Putting them on mailboxes? That would save me HOURS of walking door to door.

7. Total.Lawn.Care

I have gotten one call from the post office (because he said he got a complaint) and he said that if it touches the BOX, it is supposed to have postage. If you pin them or tape them to the post, or even put them in a newspaper box, then not illegal or need postage. I figured, one call in line 3500 fliers, I will keep stuffing the flags. BUT, WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT OPEN THE MAILBOX. THAT IS ILLEGAL!!! FEDERAL OFFENSE.

At anycase, I have been exploring other options for advertising as well, rather than just fliers. But my fliers got me started, and landed my first two contracts. So, I will continue to use them....

8. BigLag

BigLag LawnSite Member

Total...how'd you get them to stay between the flag and box. Did you roll the fliers or fold double or 3x?

9. BigLag

BigLag LawnSite Member

Nevermind...I just reread your post that you said rolled...did you have to put a rubberband around them or the flag?

10. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

Try putting an ad in the local newspaper, I did and i am getting more calls than i can handle now part time, There are a ton of lawn care guys around where i live but there were only 2 other ads in the paper, from the people i've talked to thats about the only place they knew of to look for lawn care, Its worth a try!