Just a cut wire

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Midlo Snow Maker, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Midlo Snow Maker

Midlo Snow Maker LawnSite Member

jesus christ. Jimmy Deans sausage kings house.
    last year they called and put a new forced sewer line in and cut a few pipes and wires. i showed up and about lost it. there are about 50 wires here, what makes this even harder about 20 of them are signal wires between 2 pump control boxes with 110v on them and they have to go back exact!! the other are zone wires, problem here he has golf course heads on the river bank side, valve in head 3 per zone so i had to get this back exact too, unhooked power and used a 521 locater to send voltage from each pump box to the cut to sort them out they not only cut them once but twice in two different spots not to mention 50 million leaks. system works off of 2 cent. pumps one 5 hp suction and one 7.5 hp boost and them suckers kick. this was a cadilac system when it was installed
    mir 5000 controller gone, replaced with 24 station total control
    2 1/2" main with 2" Toro pressure regulated valves
    1 zone has 78 12" Toro mist heads
    this is the most challenging system by far, i could go into so many other interesting things on this system but this is good enough for now

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

What a nightmare.
    I don't think I would have taken that job.

T&M ! payup
  3. Midlo Snow Maker

Iv'e been there 9 years, 9 years to many
  4. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

more power to ya bro...... man what a mess.....
  5. Next time I go on a bad service call I will think of you...:dizzy:
  6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I had a job like that back in the 80's on the golf course. An ohm meter will become your best friend. The part I don't understand is the 3 valve-in-head heads on each zone.
  7. i would have definitely passed on that one..don't need that feather in my cap anymore...holy chit that is ugly.
  8. Midlo Snow Maker

ex. zone 15 is 3 golf course heads but each head has a valve and a wire going all thee way back to the controller that are tied together at the controller
  9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We come across this occasionally when a contractor doesn't heed warning markings. We use a toner and continuity tester like the phone companies use. MUCHO safer than a 521 power. :dizzy:
  10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

So is this something you have finished up? Or is it still a repair in progress? If done, how many hours did you have into it?

I too would have passed as it would have taken up way too much time and neglected me from too many other customers. Not that I wouldn't like the challenge. I guess if it was August/Septmber when things slow down a bit, then maybe.