1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just a few questions...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by speedyvision917, Jun 5, 2005.

1. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 LawnSite Member

Ok this is my situation, im 17 years old and going into my senior year in school, for the past couple months i have been working 2 jobs to save up for a truck which i had intended on using for my company that i would like to start next year. Im at the point (money wise) where im looking at trucks and will buy at any time. Once i have the truck i was thinking i should put out flyers around my area, (surrounding neighborhoods) for small oddjobs such as small cleanups, mulching, garden beds. What other things should i advertise that i do (what jobs that dont require much or expensive tools)? i have only a 21in homeowner mower as of now along with a nice commercial echo trimmer a backpack blower and walkbehind blower, should i start getting mowing accounts with just my little mower? i dont want to come off as being just a kid mowing lawns, and im not sure if people will take me seriously. what are your thoughts or opinions. i will be doing flyers no matter what to get my name out etc. but not sure what else i should advertise that i can do (need more ideas) and if i should start mowing or not
  2. fishinman22487

fishinman22487 LawnSite Member

If you have any extra money i would start out by buying a commercial walkbehind like a 36inch or 48inch belt drive. But thats just my opinion. Usually when people seeing mowing yards with a big machine other than a small 21incher they know your going to do an excellent job. :) What year or style truck were you looking to buy??
  3. speedyvision917

im looking for an early to mid 90s chevy or gmc 3/4 ton, im goin to look at a 95 chevy 2500 tomorrow the guy wants 5550 but he's a dealer and i no i can get him down at least 500, that will pretty much make me broke but at least this way i no ill have a dependable truck. i was thinking about a small loan maybe $2500-3500 that way ill only have to pay 1-2 grand right away and i can aford a mower. although i was planning on starting next year that way i wont get too many customers that i cant handle them along with school and the restaurant job which i would like to keep for when winter comes around.

basically i want to start now but dont want to rush into it, so should i get a loan and try to get as low of payments as i can? i no i can easily afford $100 dollar a month payments probably more too.
  4. speedyvision917

TTT anyone else???
  5. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

See how many accounts you get with the 21 inch. When it breaks down you can decide to buy another cheap 21, a commercial 21 or a 36 or 48 inch unit.

Don't spend all of your money until you are confident you are going to get accounts. A nice truck filled with expensive gear is pretty only when it is making money.
  6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

start with what you have, nothing wrong with mowing with a 21 inch till you get something else....ok here i go again........ you need to get insurance, and check with your state and local regulations reguarding licences

you sound like your on the right track and like you want to do this right....it isnt going to be easy finding insurance but it is a must.... god forbid if there is an accident and someone gets hurt, your parents could loose everything they have.....good luck these guys here will teach you alot, they shure have tought me alot.... :)
  7. the ace

the ace LawnSite Member
    from usa

....just not spelling! :D