1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just a guess???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sildoc, May 6, 2004.

1. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Put in a bid on a total lawn refurbish. I.e. Mowing as low as I can go, thatching, aerating and then slit seeding. Also in this there are 5 roses to be dug up and put in boxes and a total tree removal of which is about 8 ft tall and 4 ft wide. A total of about 5 yards of top soil to bring up a leval grade where I am taking out the roses. total sq footage is about 5100. What would you have bid? I already submited and found out afterwards what 3 other companies submitted also. I will post those later. She is going to contact the company that wins the bid on tuesday but I was just curious on what every one will bid.

Here are my costs of equiptment I have to rent.
    aerator 75 for the day
    thatcher 65 for the day
    slit seeder 95 for the day.

topsoil 14 a yard.
    other than that seed will be about 50 bucks for 3 way rye. and about 20 bucks in fertilizer. rest is time and manual labor.
  2. sildoc

Ok I guess no one will post so I will tell you my bid and you can criticize it and then I will really know where I stand. Thanks.

I bid 2526.00 for the entire project. I figure about 30 hours of work total over a week or week and a half. Unfortunatly she has no under ground spinkler system and plans on moving by hand a sprinkler of two. I told her by no means can I guarantee germination on hand watering. We will se tuesday If I won the bid.
  3. sildoc

84 with no guesses?
  4. sharpcutter

sharpcutter LawnSite Member

$1150 - $1250 installed
  5. sildoc

Hmm. At 30 hours that would put me at right at 1800 with out costs. I figure I could do for at 2000.00 but this place is a mess and a ton of grade work. My costs are right at almost 750.00 that does not include any work.
  6. sharpcutter

sharpcutter LawnSite Member

By what you described, I would never have thought 30 hours!! Also you made no mention of gradeing that needs done. I was strictly going by what you posted. Grading alone increases the price by at least $600 Its always hard to say without seeing the job, also everyones costs are different.
  7. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

The only question I have is the "tree" 8 feet tall and 4 feet wide? Is this a bush of some sort, or is there a 4 foot wide trunk???

Otherwise, I'd be in a little lower than you at about $1750.
    It doesn't sound like as much work as it may be from your desrciption, but without seeing it, here's my guestimate.