Just a lil help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Equalizer, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Equalizer

Equalizer LawnSite Member

A quick question for you all. Do you know if you need to get licensed in MD? I'm just starting out and am not 100% sure on all the legal stuff that I need. If you all could help out a new guy, I would greatly appreciate it. Anything would help. Thanks, Dave

2. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

3. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Licensed to do what ? Cut Grass.Fertalize ??

4. Equalizer

To cut grass and fertalize, plant flowers and shrubs. Maybe do some light landscaping, I dont really know yet for sure what I'll be doing but definately cutting and triming. Thanks for your input. Dave

5. TNT LawnCare Inc.

Yes you need a License to fertalize.Yes you need a M.H.I.C. # if you plan to do some landscaping which would require excavating. No you dont need a license to cut and trim,but you do need a Tax I.D. # if your gonna start a business, i would also reccomend some type of liability insurance.

6. Equalizer

Thanks for your help with this question. Real quick what is a M.H.I.C. #?

7. Equalizer

And also, about how long does it take before your liability insurance would kick in. A stupid question, I'm sure, but just tryin to get an idea. Thanks again

8. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

Trust me on this, if you have no professional experience it can be tough to even find someone to insure you. I found Erie Ins to insure me for a rediculously cheap price too - 264 for the year (with weed and firt) once I get certified. My policy kicked in right away. I would go with using an agent. An agent will be the easiest to work with but they may take longer than going straight to a company. Like I said though, it may be tough to even get a policy. I MANY agents tell me that they couldn't insure me without two years experience. I even had one other agent from Erie tell me that she couldn't insure me and then I called another Erie Agent and he worked out a deal with me. As long as I ensured my car and truck with them, they would write me a policy for the business. The kicker is that he saved me 140 a month on my auto so I made out like a Bandit anyway. I would check out Erie. Good Luck!

9. TNT LawnCare Inc.

Maryland Home Improvement License