just a little help needed?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by REENO, Jul 8, 2005.

1. REENO

REENO LawnSite Member

what is the difference betwen a fixed deck and a floating deck? is one better than the other. is one easier to keep up?

thanx in advance, you guys have been a big help!!!!!

No Negative Comments

2. REENO

REENO LawnSite Member

i just need a quick answer if at all possible.

3. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I can't really give the best definition, but I know the floating deck is definetly easier to adjust and usually doesnt scalp as back since it has play to move up and down without moving the whole mower. It usually comes with more scalp wheels as well so it's almost impossible to scalp with it althought I've never used one.

4. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

A fixed deck is attached to the tractor part of the mower by bolts. The height can be adjusted either from the bolts on the back or from the casters on the front of the deck. A floating deck is not fixed to the tractor part of the mower. The height is adjusted by mowing 4 pins on top of the deck. In my opinion, unless you're cutting extremely rough lawns, a floating deck is too complicated, and there are a lot more parts to break on a floating deck than on a fixed deck. I feel that unless you have a 61"+ deck, a fixed deck is the best option.

5. REENO

REENO LawnSite Member

appreciate it