just a little look at human nature

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 13, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

in another thread, we were talking about having all clients on a flat monthly payment plan, rain or shine, hell or high water, the payment is the same. well, that's the way i do it, and i get some money, before actually doing the work. this season, i converted a few long time clients, into this payment system. one guy in particular, resisted very strongly. it was about 2 weeks of on again off again conversation, he just didn't want to pay like that. i held my position that this was not an option, it was the only system we use. anyhow, the strange thing was.....this guy always paid in advance, anyhow. he was just never told that HE HAD TO. he did it on his own. every april, on the first visit, he'd come out and hand me a check for april + may. at the end of may, he'd hand me a check for june + july, etc. BUT, when he recieved notice about the new billing system, he freaked :dizzy: it just goes to show you, some people don't like being told what to do.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

correctomundo bg

3. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

this is a situation i have been thinking about alot lately.purely because if you have ...say 100 customers and they are all invoiced.it can take 2weeks before that money is finally cleared and in your pocket. so in that time you are funding your business with you're own money and what if things turn to poo you have done a months work and you find you're self chasing up money.it is hard to tell existing customers of you're new system of course.the lesson here is to tell them right from the start

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Some folks also don't like change, they get used to the way things are and they like things that way. For this reason, there exists the grandfather clause.

I mean, there are the big corporations who institute a change and it doesn't matter to them who likes it, or doesn't... But in the case of small companies, maybe it should, because unlike said corporations, we don't have 20 million customers.

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

i actually do have about 6-7 clients still on the "granfather" clause. these are clients who have been with me many years, and have NEVER had payment issues. any customers however, signed after jan 2003, are on the pre billing system.

6. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

bobby, just a question. if he already paid 2 months in advance, why did you even give him the prepayment notice?

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

he paid 2 months in advance, on his own. what if he decided not to anymore? then there would be a problem.