Just a ploy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by michael4d, Oct 3, 2007.

1. michael4d

michael4d LawnSite Member

This is my first post and I just wanted to say thank you all for all the good information that’s on the boards.
    Usually if I have a question I just search the threads and I’ll find the answer, but the unprofessional situation that happened to me today I can’t find.
    I’ve been doing residential part time for a little over a year and a friend told me about an apartment complex that is looking for a new landscape company to do there lawn maintenance. I submitted a bid today to the property manager and when we where talking one of there apartment maintenance people came in grabbed the paperwork off of the desk turned to the price that I had listed laughed and said we can only pay half of what your proposal says.
    I made the bid as low as I could and still make money. If I even cut a quarter of the money off the bid I would lose money.
    This is my first commercial bid and I was wondering if this is just a ploy to try to get me to lower my price. As I was getting up to leave I reached for the proposal and the maintenance person grabbed it off the desk and said we would like to keep this for our records.
    Has this happened to any one else?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

They sound like cheap scumbags......screw them and move on, they'll probably try to screw you on work or money down the line if they did get you the job.

3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

move on buddy dont worry about it.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Man, don't that just chap your ass? :laugh:

It never ceases to amaze me, the nerve some people have, I used to get so mad about that stuff.

But something I figured out helps prevent these kind of things is to just send your proposals in by mail (or fax).
    Yeah man, don't sit in on no meetings, that way you got your business to run and they have theirs, I think that might help.

5. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes David leaves himself negotiating room in a bid. Maybe it makes people feel better that they got a deal. But, never let the customer tell you how much they're going to 'bestow upon you for the privilege of mowing their lawn'! :laugh:
    They're just looking for cheap. Let 'em have cheap and find someone who wants your good service.

6. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Move on, you dont want to be in the middle of a contract season and kick yourself b/c you sold yourself short. Hold your head high, thank them for their time, and go on to bigger and better things.
    Once you get some good customers in the future, you will learn to develop a 'feel' for potential new clients. As soon as you start to feel that 'I dont know if I really want to work with these people' feeling, either up the bid big time, or thank them for their time and move on.
    My tagline says '1 year and counting'.. that is lawncare, I've been in customer service for many years.
    I'm not a psychic, but I'd put money on the fact that as soon as you turn them down, your phone will ring with your 'Next exciting job'.
    Hope it helps.
    Matt.

7. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

If it was a ploy... would you have lowered your price? Of course not (I hope).

Like everyone else has said, move on. Let it be a learning experience.

8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Do not let that concern you in the least, that is part of this dog eat dog world we live in today. If you are meant to get that particular job you will, if not there is a reason for everything, forget about it.

9. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

I would tell him, Today is your lucky day. I am running a "half off " special.

I could cut half your lawn for that, or I could do a half ass job. which would you prefer?

remember always be closing! lol

10. Iloveroses

Iloveroses LawnSite Member

They kept that it for price comparison. If they are going to call you later on, will you take it? Stick with your price too.