Just a quick heads up.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bustin88, Sep 2, 2007.

1. bustin88

bustin88 LawnSite Member
    from NW NJ

i will make this nice and to the point... Last Friday I was weedwacking along a walkway and took a quater sized rock to the eye.... and long story short i was legally blind for 4-5 days and after seeing an eye dr. 2x and an eye surgon 2x I might have permenant damage to my vision. i am fine up close, but to see far away everything is still blury.

So to all of us out there who believe in not wearing eye protection, please think again. I will try and upload some pictures... if interested.

Be Safe!

J

2. mebergstran

mebergstran LawnSite Member

listen to the man... it's worth finding some comfortable glasses.

3. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i wear glasses all the time, even when mowing.

4. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

When I have my safety glasses on I get hit with many objects that I thought would never hit me.

5. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I wear safety glasses all the time when I'm working with tools and most machinery. I still seem to get things in my eyes, but at least nothing is striking my eye straight on!

Sure, you should up-load the pictures if you are ok with that. It would do some people some good to see first hand what can happen without PPE. Hope things turn out good for you and your loss of eye sight doesn't end up being permanent. Thanks for sharing with us!

6. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Boy do I agree with that. I wear glasses with just about any equipment operation of this nature and still seem to be pulling out dust and grass pieces. Hopefully its just airborne in the dust and doesn't hit with any force. Can't imagine trimming without glasses any more even though I think we've all done it at some point. Any how, hope you recover fully Boy do I agree with that. I wear glasses with just about any equipment operation of this nature and still seem to be pulling out dust and grass pieces. Hopefully its just airborne in the dust and doesn't hit with any force. Can't imagine trimming without glasses any more even though I think we've all done it at some point. Any how, hope you recover fully and thanks for sharing a bad experience in hopes to prevent harm to others. and thanks for sharing a bad experience in hopes to prevent harm to others.

7. mike plummer

mike plummer LawnSite Member

I use them every day lost with out them

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I think I can do without the pictures. The guy likely lost an eye, I'm sure everyone can picture it just fine.

I have had small foreign objects removed from my eyes before. NO FUN.

I ALWAYS wear safety glasses. Not worth losing your vision.

Think about it before you decide to do ANY work without them. What would your life be like if you went completely blind? I could deal with losing my hearing(hell it's half gone already lol), but if I went blind I'd be REAL pissed off.

I hope you at least heal up somewhat. Doesn't sound like your eye will ever be 100% again, but at least you didn't get both, and at least you're not totally blind.

9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

bustin88, I posted a similar article few months back. I had on eye protection though and picked up a rock with the weedeater and it shattered my left lens but my eye was unharmed. ALWAYS wear eye protection, we only have 2 and when they are gone they are gone!

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I've gotten better about wearing eye protection.

Nice safety shades and starting out with them on day one hour one of the season helped.
    I also didn't put any strings on them which makes it more of an ordeal to take them off.

However, I am still guilty of not always wearing them. At times, regardless of tint or no-tint, I have trouble seeing and they have to go. But I had more trouble seeing with other types I used before due to facial reflection in the lenses, etc...

Overall, I have figured out that I get 100% more trash in my eyes with them on. I guess I got really good with squinting and compensating, etc, and don't do so with eye protection on, so anything that makes it's way behind the lenses ends up in one eye or the other it seems.

But no doubt at all they can really save your eyes from an impact injury.

For all the reasons above, although I really like my current safety shades, I'm going to try something else come fall to take it a step further. I'm going to go with those slimline goggle like safety shades before the fall crap starts flying. I just have to find them....