Just a quick question??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MrUPS, Sep 29, 2007.

1. MrUPS

MrUPS LawnSite Member

I am just a home owner and i have had good luck w scotts or lesco fert. from local hardware stores, I live in southern NH! Just didn't know when the right time to apply a winterizer would be, is the first week in oct early! I haven't fert since an app of weed killer in July, should i get some other fert for now and apply winterizer 1st of november?????
    Any advice would help, i am a new home owner and i am just starting out, so please don't attack me to hard, thanks

2. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

I would do a normal fert now, and the winterizer around thanksgiving.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Weed and feed now. Winterizer in about 30 days. Try to use a product with 50 percent or more slow release. That will last longer, reduce the chance of burn, and reduce the chance of ground water contamination.

4. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Do not use any slow release in a winterizer fert. When would you expect that material to release, January, February? 0% slow release.

5. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Tscape is absolutely correct. All the latest research shows a water soluble fertilizer with little or no slow release is the way to go in late fall. You are a little late for your early fall fertilization so you could go one of two ways. Use Lesco's 32-3-8 right now which has 30% slow release or go with 46-0-0 around the last time you cut your grass. Make sure you put down at least a lb of nitrogen per 1000 Sq. Ft.

Mike I
    Mike's Total Lawn Care

6. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

a soon as the top growth stops then it time for you to apply your winter app.

all mineral fert. no slow release..

7. MrUPS

MrUPS LawnSite Member

thanks for the info guys we def have several more mowings here in nh, the temps have been in the 80's lately, so i will go w some other fert now and wait till one of my last cuts for winterizer.
    again thank u