Just A Rant

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by drains, Feb 10, 2008.

1. drains

drains LawnSite Member

Took my Husqvarna model 55 rancher to the dealer I bought it from 3 years ago for a "tune up" last week. Got a call to come pick it up next day. Ticket said 1 new plug 1 new air filter 1 new fuel line total parts = 12.65
    labor = 47.50 + tax 4.80 = 64.95 total cost for just a few minutes work. Everybody needs to make a living but this is over charging to me. On the same subject, while I was filling out the tag before leaving the saw for the "tune up" I heard a parts person selling a guy the plastic cover on the side of a Husqvarna saw that looked a lot like mine and when he said 56 dollars for that 4 inch peice of orange plastic I knew I was in trouble and should have left then I guess. Well I dont make my living with this saw so I'm going to find another place to take my saw next time, there are several shops near me but I bought the saw from this dealer so I thought I would be a loyal customer. So much for that. Thanks for reading my rant and sorry it was so long. Have a good day.
  2. ma5tr

ma5tr LawnSite Member
    from toronto

I dont think you got overcharged at all. You went to the husquvarna deler for service, and that what they provided. In my honest opinion those prices dont seem to bad.
  3. drains

drains LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I just wont go to an "authorized dealer" anymore. There are several small engine repair shops locally that repair all brands so I think I'll give them my business. As I said I dont make my living with a saw so having a "relationship" with the dealer isn't important to me. I'm just glad I have a choice.
  4. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think you got ripped off either. Sounds like a fair price to me.
    On the rare occasion that I do need to take something out to a shop, I understand that there is usually a minimum fee (usually 1hour). I do this myself when I work for other people (mechanical) too. If you bring a piece of equipment to me, and I fix it in 10 minutes, there's usually a minimum charge.
    Just like when I needed a heavy duty and very important weld done. I took it to this master welder that I use. While it only took him 5 minutes, I understood and was happy to pay him for the $65/hr minimum charge. After all, you're paying for all his equipment, expertise and knowledge - not for the 5 minutes.
    If you're worried about the money, next time fix it yourself or at least inquire as to if the shop has a minimum charge.
    Remember these guys are well trained and experienced. I can't tell you how many times I used to see guys bring in a piece of equipment for repair, get a diagnosis and estimate and then pick up the equipment only to repair it themselves. A lot of people used to use the repair techs to diagnose a problem (75% of the work) and then pick-up the unit to fix it themselves. This is also why shops now often charge diagnosis or tear-down fees. Your repair shop isn't ripping you off - you got charged a fair rate. I just think you should have asked ahead of time for an estimate.
  5. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

So let me get this right, you have used this mower for three years and FINALLY you bring it back to your dealer for service. A dealer who has bills/employees to pay, a dealer who has put out his own money for the shipping to bring in the stocking inventory of plugs,filters, oils,fuel lines, blades etc. He covers YOU by taking care of the environmental/disposal fees of your waste oil. And you got it back the NEXT day!

If my math is right besides the gas you put in the mower, @ this point this mower has COST you all of roughly $1.80 a month to use.

Let me ask you, How much does your Cell phone or Internet COST you a month to use?

Good luck happy mowing!

6. NOW THAT IS FUNNY. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
  7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I do 99.5% of my own repair work. Problem solved. :)
  8. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I also don't think you were overcharged. I can't believe there are people on this site who complain about cheap, price shopping customers, and then are looking for the cheapest parts and service they can find for themselves. Don't forget, you aren't just paying for the parts used for the tune up, you are paying for a portion of the repair shops rent, lighting, insurance, labor, AND the guy has to make a profit too.
    I'm all for saving money, and do lots of my own repairs and service, but if you want the conveinience of someone else doing the tune up for you, expect to pay a bit more for it. That's like a customer saying "I can cut my own lawn for less than you charge"
  9. wildbilly1113

wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member

Some of you guys are mechanics and don't know a Rancher 55 is a saw
  10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Some of you guys are mechanics and don't know a Rancher 55 is a saw

ding ding ding we have a winner. This guy deserves the minimum charge.