just a story

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Big Bad Bob, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

we had a bad ice storm a while back and the snow just finally melted enough to begin cleaning up. tons of broken and downed tree branches. it's been a gold mine out there folks.
    i get a call from a guy who wants branches hauled away. i stop, look and bid. i get the job and state i will be back later in the week to do the job. a bunch of big branches that should fit right on the trailer with little cutting.
    i go back to do the job and lo and behold, the neighbor, "wanted to help out" so he cut the 8' branches into 1 1/2' firewood.:dizzy: now, instead of dragging about a dozen 8' branches to the curb and loading them and tying them down, we have about 400 1 1/2 ' pieces to load and worse, to unload. what was the proper course of action at that point? i'll tell you what i did after a bit.

2. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 LawnSite Member
    from MN

charge him more and just let him know when you bid on it you expected to be 12 8' branches not 400

3. PhillyShells

PhillyShells LawnSite Member

By the way - where is "Zone 5 " ? Is that like Area 51 ????

4. Big Bad Bob

from zone 5

shhhhhh! it's a secret.

and by the way, that's what i did. i quadrupled the bill. he wasn't happy but he understood.
    oh, he also contracted me to do some other landscaping job and mowing. at normal rates of course. :)

5. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

Hourly rate (s)

55.00 per hour
    If you watch 65.00 per hour
    If you help 75.00 per hour
    If you ask questions 85.00 per hour
    If you worked on it first 100.00 per hour

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :waving:

6. Big Bad Bob

from zone 5