1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just a truck question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The landscaper, Jan 27, 2005.

1. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of weight can you pull with a ranger or S10, would they be able to pull a trailer loaded with a ztr and wb, with everything else(handtools and such)
  2. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

ck your owners manual , it will tell you what your limits are but more important its not all about how much weight you can hall or pull its being able to stop the damn thing going down a hill
  3. The landscaper

Does anyone here use these smaller trucks?
  4. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

Back in the,,,,,,,,,, day we pulled a trailor with an S-10 with a loadout of a 52" Z a 21" Honda and all the small stuff. It was slow but it worked for 75K miles. We have even pulled 2 Zs with it but it was hard on all components. If you decide to use a small truck be sure to have breaks on the trailor.
  5. The landscaper

Can you instal brakes on any trailer?
  6. EasylyConfused

EasylyConfused LawnSite Member

How about the Mazda B2200? Is it big enough to pull a trailer and haul 3 people short distances on level land?

I actually came to ask the same question. I located a 1992 Mazda B2200 with 150 000 KM for only $2000, Saftied with no rust.
  7. The landscaper

Right now i have a chevy 2500, but was looking for something as a backup and something to go into smaller areas with maybe one or two mowers
  8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Is this a 4x4 s10 you are talking about or a 2wheel dr.?I would check the owners manual also like someone else already said.I pulled a 19 foot boat with a Ford Ranger years ago.
  9. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

Nobody's mentioned power. What size engine are you talking about. 4 or 6 cyl? With a six your probably ok Would'nt even consider a 4 cyl. Oh yea, you definitely need trailer brakes with a compact truck.
  10. mownredneck

mownredneck LawnSite Member

I have a 1988 DODGE DAKOTA 4x4 with a 5-speed 3.9 v6 and I pull a 6'x10' trailer, with a 52" jd, 42" backup mower, weedeaters, blowers, 2 pushmowers and a fat man and pulls just fine. You should have no trouble. One of my buddyes used to have a ranger and hauled a 16' trailer, 2 bobcat baggin mowers, A Kubota zd 18 and it had a little trouble but still Got r Did.