Just about had a stroke today!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by kartracer2000, Jun 6, 2008.

1. kartracer2000

kartracer2000 LawnSite Member

Not for real, but, for the first time I put my business into the Yellow Book. I got a 1/4 page ad and the internet part with my business name and number in bold in the white pages. I had never advertised in the book before and the yearly cost was $2640. At first I was like are f-ing kidding? But, I guess if I get more accounts it will be worth it. I hope it will be worth it. I am going to aske people how they heard of me and keep track of it to see if it pays for itself.
  2. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Good luck! I crashed and burned with mine. $3k down the drain...
  3. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Do you have a web site? If not, you might look into that as well as doing newspaper advertising if you have a good widespread local newspaper near you.
  4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I agree about getting a website. I have gotten a lot of jobs through mine.
  5. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

Try to have more than one method of advertising. It seems like when you are looking for work, someone is going to call you out of the blue with a big job. Never fails.

Plus when you advertise you don't come across as a fly by night. It allows you to charge top dollar because customers know that if you are advertising in the yellow book you are making money.
  6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Be prepaired to do a lot of traveling. Its OK for landscape construction business but not a mowing business.
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on your area as well. I do maintenance and my yellow page ad has always done will for me.
  8. DutrowLLC

DutrowLLC LawnSite Member

I found internet advertising far outperformed the physical yellow pages
  9. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

I used the Yellow book one year actually requested a refund half way through the year. Was given the refund and will never use them again. received one call from the yellow pages. BIG JOB! the only problem is they also called everyone else in the yellow pages as well.
  10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

that was why it didn't work for me. My chemical services are premium, but the folks who shop with the phone book are the die hard price-shoppers. Didn't make one red cent when you factor in all the wasted fuel and time for dead end bids...