1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just about ready to put a class action lawsuit together against the goverment

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by White Gardens, Nov 20, 2012.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I purchased a Stihl SH85 earlier this summer.

Just crapped out on me the other day. My employee was using it and it just quit and locked up. Was able to get it free and start it, then it locked up again.

A couple of weeks ago, I took it to the dealer because of it running rough. Took the spark arrestor screen out and it was solid black with residue.

First thing the dealer asked. "Are you running high ethanol fuel?"

I proceeded to tell him that I run premium through it.

"You must also run it at full throttle all the time to keep the screen clear".

Then again today when I took it to the shop to have it looked at for warranty they asked what fuel I ran.

Looking at the the spark plug at a glance, it looks like it was running hot.

Small equipment should have these problems, especially related to fuel. I'm ready to sue the EPA and Whoever is in charge of forcing ethanol fuel down our throats. Not even sure if there is any gas stations locally that sell non-ethanol fuel.

So who is in? Anyone? Takes a group of people to start a class action suit.

2. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

You still have a choice by using non ethanol fuel in your state. If you have any Marinas
    nearby you should be able to find your fuel type. If you decide to file your CA suit just remember the EPA is growing more powerful everyday and I suspect your suit would be shot down very fast by the Corn lobby. In the future having issues with ethanol fuel will not even be a foot note compared to what the EPA and CG have planned.
    easy-lift guy
  3. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

leave me out of it.....at least for the 6 years I've been in business so far I run the cheapest grade fuel and up until 2 years the cheapest 2 cycle oil I could find.

I've never had a single fuel related issue.

now that has changed in the last couple of weeks since I bought my stihl br 600 magnum blower. for once I decided to read the manual and for once I've decided to follow it. so from here on out all handhelds will receive 89 instead of 87 fuel. and for the past 2 years they've been getting the gray bottles of stihl oil since that trimmer I bought requires it.

oh I also always run all handhelds at full throttle 90% of the time. the only time I throttle down is if I'm close to vehicles or working around loose debris such as stones. otherwise all trimming, edging and blowing is always done at full throttle.
  4. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't had issues with any of my equipment.
  5. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Although it can be frustrating because this should have been done already but the carburetor probably needs to be adjusted.
  6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

To hit on that note.

It's not like you can adjust it yourself. You've got to take it to a shop now and have them do it. Then it's more money and time away from your equipment.

I did find one local gas station that carries non-ethanol fuel. Looks like I'll be going there from now on to get gas for small equipment.

I've honestly never had any problems up until recently. My mini skid had gunk in the fuel line and plugged up a fuel filter that was 6 months old and hardly any hours.

Rotted fuel line on my snow blower, even after drained and run dry last season.

Then my hand-held blower craps out.

Just getting frustrating to say the least. More time and money coming out of our pockets in order to be in compliance.

7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Sue the people that made the regulation about that stupid screen... if there is fire danger where you are working then common sense says, "don't work there", but our PC, dumbed down, undiscerning, ignorant masses are told that it will be fine IF you have the screen...
    Good luck finding a lawyer to take the case... :)
  8. Kkane97

Kkane97 LawnSite Senior Member

I went on amazon and got a huskqvarna,, carb adjustment tool for 5.10 shipped, best investment I made lol. Now I can adjust them to how ever I like on my own time. I can help you find your stihl one if you wish :waving:
  9. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I run 87 and what ever oil. I've never had a problem either and over half the time I'm at half throttle. 2 cycle oil use to be 30 wt ND oil too.
  10. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

I bought some new sthil equipment this year. Owner books say 89 octane to keep the engines running cooler and not over heat.