Just an obsevation from a rookie

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jocko1104, Aug 30, 2002.

1. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

It finally occured to me that a smaller yard is actually more work than a bigger yard. Inverse proportion. Who would have figured.

It just makes me feel better to say it.

2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Small yards are ok when you have the right equipment.

One major problem with small yards I have encountered is that they are usually small cramped properties on tight streets. A real hassle to get your truck/trailer parked and unloaded.

And, if you are set up for bigger jobs you really fret the small ones. Small properties make me feel like a big goldfish stuck in a little bowl.

KB

3. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

we only do a few small yards. under 7000 sq ft. And we only take these on because the customer always finds something for us to do extra each year. I have an elderly customer that actully bought a new house this year because there was nothing left for us to add. First thing he did was have us put in an irrigation system. I have to stop by at the end of the day once every two weeks and drink a beer or two with him. Also I just stop by if I'm in the area just to talk a little while. It may seem like a waste of time to some but I know next year we will be building walls lnstalling beds or something.
    Dennis

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know what you mean????? I have two small lawns. One takes 12 minutes in and out $20 and the other takes 15 minutes in and out $25. If I apply that to a big lawn I should be making $100/hour. I don't. Maybe you are pricing the small lawn wrong. If you are solo, the little lawns are like money in the bank. Big crews and companies can't be bothered with a small lawn You should have your choice of small lawns, especially if they are not in a row.
    Pete

5. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

Switchless I agree, I have some small yards to do and I can get them done rather quickly. Although I do find that some other work in smaller yards can be a pain just because of the lack of room for movement and equipment storage. But for the most part the smaller yards give me the opportunity to run a one man crew for mowing and a two man crew for other jobs. Saves me money and if I run into a bind I can always do those jobs myself without a helper. The big yards would just need to be re-scheduled if my crew was sick or something else came up.

6. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

Loading, unloading, drive time, excessive trimming.

I can do without. Why not just mow in fourth gear with minimal trimming.

7. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I'll take the smaller lawns every time! I have several large ones that I do but I get real tired of staying at one place for even an hour. I like the get in and get it done small lawns that translate to some excellent money.

8. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

we do them all, no job too big or too small. the key is getting the whole street to sign a contract, that cuts down on travel and unload time we just unload and do the street. all twelve of them.

9. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

With my limited experience, I make more money on the small ones for time invested. With the elderly or retired, there's always oportunity to do other things. Of course, my opinion might change when I get a 60 or 72" ZTR. Aerodynamics might be my concern then!

10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, I agree with that, too. When my buddy works with me, the small lawns become a wash, and the bigger lawns are better money makers. I have 4/5 "areas: of accounts next to each other where I let my buddy just mow, while I trim for him and do the large open sections.
    Pete