Just another reason why i hate netafim

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Midlo Snow Maker, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Midlo Snow Maker

Midlo Snow Maker LawnSite Member

yards are cooked around here and water is hard to find so squirrels and chipmunks are having a hay day with netafim fixed 10 leaks at one house today

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Its odd that we don't have that problem here.

I've never seen drip damaged by critters, plenty of damage from gardeners though.

Fixing 10 leaks in netafim line should take all of 5 minutes.

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I find that most of our PE drip systems are chewed up more by the "round nose shovel", "hula hoe" and "string trimmer" species of rodents. :laugh:

I will be converting one of our last drip systems in the district that I'm responsible for to hard pipe and pop-up micro sprays this fall/winter after the main season is over. :clapping:

Anyone that installs PE drip to anything within the district now is responsible for its upkeep, whether they do the repairs themselves or have an outside contractor come in at the site's expense.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I thought critter munching was a reason for not using PE for drip in the Southwest.

Anyone here ever drip a long border of shrubs with discrete emitters, with the little tube running from the emitter to a dust cap, and supported above the soil/mulch with the tiny stake (the idea being that one could actually verify that the drip is dripping) like some of the Xerigation texts show?

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We used to use Maxi-Jets on stakes just above the mulch. You could see them and hear them. Money for mulch ran out, weedeaters went in, Maxi-Jets went flying along with 1/4" PE spaghetti and drip is no longer permitted. :)

6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

In the more rural desert areas were critters are a problem we hard pipe the drip and put threaded emitters on male adapters.

As far as verifying emitters are working, its easy, if the plant is alive they are working. If you want to be sure your emitters are working use Xeri-bugs or Bowsmith, very low failure rate in my experience.