Just blame the lawn guy...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Panhead, Oct 3, 2012.

1. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

Yea Im serious, we arnt there to play around with gate locks. The owner of the gate should be the one investing in a good lock and having it installed. If they were my dogs I would certainly be buying a good gate lock, how ever much it costs. Bungee cords are not made for securing gates! geese if she wants to have pets and someone to cut her lawn she should be the one to make the improvements.

2. BeachysLawn

BeachysLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Actually, we are there to make the property look amazing and we do whatever is necessary to do just that. If there is a particular problem on a property, we either, (1) suck it up and deal with it, (2) talk to the client and resolve the issue, or (3) drop the client because its too much of a headache.

We should never do something halfway just because we were too scared to approach the customer or because we don't want to lose the money.

3. greenology

Hi beachys, you mustnt have read my first post as I said the same thing, if the job was worthwhile then I said to spend as much time as he needed to ensure the gate was locked. I also mentioned that if the job wasnt so great paying, he should discuss the issue with the client by telling her he doesnt feel comfortable using the gate this way etc, but be prepared to lose her as a client as these woman do not like it unless you do exactly as they ask, if they get any hint of us disputing them then they will get rid of us as retaliation.

My best paying customer would never pick up the dog **** of her small patch of back lawn, and being a small patch after 1 week it was covered in it from a dog which she must have over fed with rich food because the **** really STANK. but because she was such a good paying client, very well paying, I stopped myself from even requesting that she collect the dog **** as I felt she was paying for that extra service.

So in the gate situation, if its worthwhile do the same and spend the time it takes, if not worthwhile then do what is the RIGHT thing to do and tell her its her property and her responsibilty.

By "sucking it up" I dont agree this is the correct thing to do, however it is best to do this if u dont want to lose the client.

4. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S. New Jersey

Just say sorry, and ask her if you can install a new latch if you think locking the gate up is SO HARD!

Have a nice day! :)

5. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Whatever. For me, I put it back the way it was. If stuff like that bothers you, maybe you should drop them. Remember, there's always another guy to cut the grass. I bet you're one of the guys that won't drop the gate for less then $50

6. greenology

Yes i've had a few clients in the past that are more trouble then they are worth, so I let them go (in a professional manner) and I let someone else come along and take over the job, they may need it more than I. Anyways we all have our own opinion & Ive had mine now so ill let it be. Cheers

7. Panhead

Panhead LawnSite Member

Try to un-tie it when you can't get your fingers or hand through the chain link. Its stomach high fence and you'd probably tell your helper to go around and get it. Thats being lazy!!!!

Of course, someone in the bunch has to be a hot shot and give me a smart ass answer, hence why I don't visit the forum A LOT!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  8. watsmi57

watsmi57 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a policy in place for this exactly. Anything we move or change during the course of our work on a jobsite. we put it back exactly like it was before we got there. Gates, yard art, hoses, sprinklers, etc. No matter how trivial it may seem.

9. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Did you expect anything different especially when you are in the wrong?

What's with the lawn needs fert to get rid of weeds? When did this become the norm? I thought fert helped the grass grow not kill weeds. It almost sounds as though you don't know what you're doing. To me, your original post sounds like it's all about you and nothing to do with the customer.

10. No Weeds Left Behind

No Weeds Left Behind LawnSite Member

So you are getting mad because someone called you and was complaining about her dog getting out when undoubtably you were the last one in the gate. Whats the big deal I know time is money but 5 min to do what you have to do to keep the customer I think I would just take that five min as a loss. But maybe I am crazy who knows