1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just bought a Big Dog R-748 Power Bar mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by doublesharp, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Outlawn

Outlawn LawnSite Senior Member

So the bar turns left or right to steer and the throttle is one piece, like a scooter at Walmart? It looks in the pics like the front wheels are still casters, so the rear wheels and pumps still do the turning, like on a ZTR? How does that work?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. doublesharp

doublesharp LawnSite Senior Member

The front wheels are casters and the rear wheels do the pulling. I'm not certain what the dynamics are but it's easy to drive, I like a ztr better but I have no problems with this. I've never driven a WMS so I can't say how they work but this mower has a throttle bar that is the same left or right handed. Makes it a good one handed mower. It turns like a zero turn but after about an hours use I would not recommend this over a zero turn, except for price. However, my wife does not like ztrs but she likes this. You know what I'm thinking......;)

The Kaw FR651 is plenty of power and the deck cuts good. Starts easy, just a light choke when cold and then just bump the key. I love the Hustler ht adjust system, it's a little better than Bob-Cat's imho and the smaller tires/lighter wt don't seem to divot the yard. For the 3/4 acre this will mow regularly, it's perfect and I consider it adequate back up for my 4 acre lot and rentals. I can run it backwards straight enough to blow a driveway and I'm sure I'll get better with practice. It's easy to edge but there's not much trim edge, only about 2". I don't have much slope so I can't say how it holds but I expect it could get squirrely. I have no buyer's remorse.