Just bought a Kombi tool.......

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Outdoors_Unlimited, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Outdoors_Unlimited

Outdoors_Unlimited LawnSite Senior Member

What tools do you use??

I purchased a 110, and the straight edger to replace my stick edger that was stolen.

I do high end residential sites, and plan purchasing the articulated hedge trimmer, the pole saw, a few extensions, and the cultivator.

My first question, for anyone who has the cultivator attachment, how does it work, compared to a dedicated mantis style tiller??

Do they make an attachment like the Echo bed edger for the Stihl system?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Cheffy

Cheffy LawnSite Member

I have the pole saw and just bought the straight edger. i do not see a Bed edger in the book . For the kombi.

3. Outdoors_Unlimited

Yeah I didn't see one in the owners manual but thought Id ask if anyone knew of one available.

Anyone know if the echo tool will fit the Stihl power head?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Belgium

Belgium LawnSite Member

The cultivator is great for ground that is already loosened up. Only thin i did was swap the "straight blades" with the bent ones from the stihl mm-55 and now it works great. Just don't expect it to replace a rototiller :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I use my tiller with great results. It gets used for mixing compost and soil while installing plants and to fluff up old mulch. I have the stihl tiller head attached to an old fs56r.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. lungs414

lungs414 LawnSite Member

Works great on fairly loose soil.I also used it to mix my sand/cement/stone mortar mix before adding water. Saved a lot of shoveling.

7. Outdoors_Unlimited

Thanks guys. I've got 11k sq of bed to cultivate. They haven't been done in a while, but even with a hula hoe, its breaking up easy.

Id be stupid not to go buy one to try.

I didn't think of it for fluffing mulch.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't have a Kombi, but I have an FS90R that accepts the different gearbox attachments. (not compatible with Kombi attachments)

I have the articulating hedge trimmer attachment and it was worth every penny. (even though it was a lot of pennies)
    Buying the trimmer attachment that doesn't adjust to different angles would have been a huge mistake.

9. Outdoors_Unlimited

Well, after the first week with it........I'm not really impressed. Its heavy as a stick edger, having to use the high idle start almost every time is a pain. Also my trigger mechanism isn't quite right. It is difficult to turn off, and often won't release the hi idle when trigger is depressed. I will be taking it to the dealer tomorrow to have it fixed.

I've always been a Stihl saw fan, and never really impressed with their lawn tools. I went with the Stihl over Redmax because of tool selection (extension pole mainly as I do a lot of tree work) I'm hoping I don't regret this thing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had one for 2 or 3 years and love it. I use the pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer, power broom and edger. Up here we don't do a LOT of edging so it works great for us. Also nice to keep the hedge attachment in the truck box in case you need to swap it out for a quick trimming. I can see if you did a lot of edging then the Kombi one might get a bit heavy and cumbersome. I also have the 110 and no problems at all, but it has been lightly used overall - I don't trim with it or anything.