1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just bought a lawn business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by nautica1580, Nov 9, 2007.

1. nautica1580

nautica1580 LawnSite Member

I just recently purchased a lawn business, it included:

5x10 enclosed trailer
    52" Button Zero Turn- 18 Horse Briggs
    2 Echo Weedeaters
    1 Echo Edger
    2 Handheld Blowers
    Spray Tank
    All the maintence equipment

8 Small Residental Accounts

I am looking to pickup anywhere from 12-17 more accounts. I am self employed in real-estate with it being so slow and a lawn business became available at a great deal so I decided a lawn business part time wouldnt be a bad idea. I worked with my dad for 5-6 years when I was in school years ago doing lawncare so I have plenty of experience. He was pushing 200 accounts in his hay-day. Does anyone have any suggestions to picking up new accounts without spending a boat load on marketing? Any input about the business or things I need to be aware of. I appreciate your responses in advane.

2. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

Id look for some neighbor hoods. Find some that u like and go door to door. Explain ur rates, what kind of equipment u use and ur experience.
  3. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a good marketing plan !!
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

make sure you send out letters informing the customers of the new owner
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Some folks might think a Realtor is just a glorified new car dealership salesman, a step or two above maybe.
    I'm not saying car salesmen are a nobody, but I know a Realtor comes with a degree, and we're talking someone along the same lines as doctors and lawyers. Some say not all Realtors are all that, I say neither are all doctors and lawyers.
    A Realtor (my spell checker catches it if I don't capitalize this) may not be like the most prominent ones, but they're up there.

So here you are telling me you guys got it rough...
    And here I am telling you it's not much better here, the drought wasn't good for the lawn business either.

For inexpensive marketing I would stay away from TV and Radio ads, but this is just another of those things where you get what you pay for, cheap out here and the only thing that doesn't change is the shaking motion of my head wondering what is a Realtor doing in the farm business :laugh:

But you're no fool so you know as well as I do that thousands of dollars are as easily wasted on this, much beyond trial and error I don't know what to say.

One thing I could advise, in your case it might help, is to use some of the properties you have listed for practice sessions. Not only will it give you experience with little fear of retribution, but the cost might be defrayed somewhat by increasing the value of the property you are selling to where the increase in your commission should cover it.

I did say the COST, so we're just covering the basics.
    But where you don't get paid there are no taxes, and the cost is a deduction.
    So then that leaves labor, a small price to pay for the education.
    What you gain is insight into the work, what it takes, how long it takes, and to a point you'll learn what you could've quoted.
    If nothing else the house might sell faster, you'll definitely know your costs, and you can probably get some work via word of mouth that way.
  6. huskres

huskres LawnSite Senior Member

Hell where im from it takes less time to go to realtor school than cosmotology school...
  7. All Season Bill

All Season Bill LawnSite Member

Nautica....you're in real estate? Then my marketing plan should work well for you. Who doesn't have lawn service yet? The new home owner!!!!
    There are lists out there with new real estate transactions every week.
    Go door to door or mail in your info.
  8. nautica1580

nautica1580 LawnSite Member

I want to stay in a home-base area so when homes do sell in that area I get the service. I have lived here my whole life so getting work shouldnt be too diffucult. I appreciate the ideas.
  9. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, i also thought about mailing them through the mail. But how would u have the post office do that?
  10. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Check with the places you plan to do that... DK you should be aware before you do... if you need a liscence... I know I did in Hudson and I checked before hand. Its through the police dept., they do a background check to make sure your not a crazy running around knocking on people's doors with a extensive record.