Just bought a Massey Ferguson ZT33

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MSS Mow, Jun 15, 2006.

1. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I just bought the new Massey Ferguson ZT33! Power....Wow!! I lined up my Kubota ZD21 next to it in tall, thick wet grass and the Kubota would almost stall while the MF would power right through it. It's got the 72" deck. Appears to be very well built. Only time will tell obviously. Much more ground clearance on the rear...good for dropping off edges of banks and not getting hung out to dry.

2. Apples

Apples LawnSite Senior Member

Holy Crap, I guess you really liked the demo! How did it do on the hills? Did you get a good deal? Good luck with it! Which 72" deck did you get?

3. dfish

dfish LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I'm really anxious to hear your thoughts on the quality of cut, response from the controls, and the ride compared to any of the other ZTR's you've used. I'm really more intrested in the ZT29/60", but all I've found around here are the 33/72".

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I've got a good MF :eek: dealer...

I like that littlest tractor they make too.

Anyways, I remember when looking at tractors and mowers and such... it seemed to me that all the stamped decks looked very much the same. Kubota, MF and New Holland. Or maybe I'm remembering wrong and instead they were all alike, but two of the 3 were the exact same maybe?

Anyways, since you have a Kubota, does it have the stamped deck, and if so are the decks the same? Yeah I know one is a 72"... but you know what I mean.

5. dfish

dfish LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Have you gotten to mow enough with it to judge how well it cuts? I know it's going to take months to determine how well you like the rest of the machine.

Envy, I think you are right about the stamped steel decks looking alike. Seems the New Holland and Massey decks do look the same. The Kubota is close. I don't guess there are many different ways to build a pressed steel deck, so they do favor one another.

6. MSS Mow

from Maine

Absolutely. Similar stability wise to my Kubota, maybe a little better. As for going up...the extra power made it much easier...no drag. I got the high volume deck, and boy will it move some grass.

7. MSS Mow

from Maine

So far, a very good quality of cut. I still need to adjust the caster wheels to the "just right" position for anti scalping reasons. Controls are more touchy than my kubota at low speeds. I'm sure that will improve with my experience on the machine. As for ride...comfortable...similar to my kubota in that sense. seat is too narrow for my big butt but for most normal size people, it would be fine. (I'm 5' 11'' and 320 so a big man for any machine)

8. MSS Mow

from Maine

Envy,

It is a stamped deck and I guess would say is similar to my kubota, but definately is not identical. The kubota is deep thru and thru where as the Massey Ferguson has a deep channel to move and discharge the grass but is more shallow in the rear. Otherwise, similar strength and probably if you jacked them both up side by side, you'd find them nearly identical.

9. MSS Mow

from Maine

Well, not really I guess. I only mowed a few hours yesterday. It'll take a few weeks anyways but I think it's going to be a great machine. Appears to be very well built and it handles well. Power is not an issue, period. During the demo, I used it on my own lawn, which hadn't been mowed in nearly a month. We've had rain everyday for the last 2 1/2 weeks so it was VERY tall/thick. It had also just stopped raining an hour before they arrived with it, so it was tall, thick AND wet. My kubota would bog right down and stall if I didn't pull back. The Massey Ferguson bulled right through it without slowing...and that was with a strip discharged into the strip I was mowing whereas the kubota was just mowing a fresh strip (with no clippings in it). That was impressive to me.

I'll post more opinions once I have a chance to mow with it some more.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Pictures, pictures, pictures.... please post pictures!

There aren't any online or in brochures that give it any justice...