Just bought a new blade grinder

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bdemir, Mar 1, 2000.

1. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

I just purchased a new RBG-121 blade grinder,they have bigger models. unfortunatly J.Thomas the place i purchased it from doesnt carry any other bg models right now. I wanted to know if this blade grinder will accomidate my needs throughout the years or is it the upgrade after two years model? I want to buy just one that will be good enough for any job. I have four mowers a two 60&quot; one 52&quot; and one 21&quot;. No bush mowers and dont plan on it. Would like to find our where i could order one and which model is the one to get. Thanks in advance for the replies.<p>bdemir@mediaone.net <br>

2. bdemir

was wondering if anyone has any input?

3. scottlawns

scottlawns Guest

i was wondering what a sharpener like that would cost me?

4. bdemir

i paid 320 for mine but i was wondering if anyone can telll me if i have the right one.<br>

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

bdemir: Its a little to late to decide if its right or not. I don't recall that modle from when I was looking but as long as it works for what you need it should be fine.With a bigger motor you can lean a little harder on each pass as compared to a small motor unit. Get your self a Ruby wheel or one of the new Blue wheels that reduce burning as you grind. Happy grinding..

6. PLS

PLS LawnSite Member

bdemir:<br>The biggest difference between yours and the larger framed grinders are that you can sharpen a blade with a longer cutting edge. For instance yours may sharpen a blade with a six inch cutting edge and the medium frame will sharpen an eight inch edge and the large frame will sharpen 12&quot; edge or something like that. Remember the first inch of the blade does 90% of the cutting. <br>

7. bdemir

Gene,<br>Thansk for the response. I was asking becuse i can take it back to where i purchased it from and buy the bigger model but the bigger model happens to be $600 and there is no medium models in stock so i thought that i could get it from somewhere else.

8. Finecut

Finecut LawnSite Member
    from IL

The model I bought last spring is RBG # 1218B it has a 8&quot; ruby wheel and cost 499.99. It does a fantastic job and I would highly recommend it.

9. PLS

PLS LawnSite Member

Mine is a 2181P I've had it about 5 years and it does a great job. Get you a shop vac or some kind of dust collection system, makes a world of difference. They also have a blue wheel out now that is supposed to be better than the ruby wheel. I'll try it next go round.

10. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

What exactly is a &quot;blade grinder&quot;?<br>All I use is a 4&quot; angle grinder and am<br>careful not to lean on it too hard.