Just bought a new honda HRC216HXA

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ZaK18, Feb 28, 2005.

1. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

This is the first Honda I have owned.
    The mower is built very well and leaves a great cut, But the clutch is a pain in the A$$. I have used Toro prolines in the past and I really love the drive bar, its at your finger tips. With the honda you have to use one hand to hold down the BBC and the other to operate the clutch. I don't understand why Honda couldn't design it where you could have both hands on the handle and operate the clutch with your fingers. After an half-hour of mowing I was worn out and frustrated as He!!. I'm considering returning it.

For the guys that run them, do you get used to them. I am used to the Toro drive and the Honda feels awkward.

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I use only one hand. the clutch will stay ingaged, unlees you totally realease the drive. for turning, you have to have two hands on it anyway, just realase the drive and hold the clutch in. I actally prefer the honda drive system to the prolines.

btw, if you honda doesn't mulch well, contact dishboy. he gave me some great mods, to make i mulch well.

3. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

Since the mower has hydrostatic drive, You cant keep the drive engaged while turning.

4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Never been a problem for me. I actually prefer the Honda setup over the Toro, and I started out with Toro. Feather the control for the drive, I use the drive on turn and havent seen a problem with it.

5. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

Sorry I mis-read your post. On the Toro I would turn with one hand using the self-propel to power around the turn. With experience you can turn almost effortlessly. I'm not use to turning using both hands.

6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I know that. please read my post again. to explain, you keep your hand on the BLADE ENGAGE, not the drive.

although, I have turned the mower with the drive engaged, at full speed.

7. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

Thanks, Maybe it just takes time to get used to.

8. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

It takes a little getting use to, just like any new equipment. I just hated with the Toro that the clutch would disengage every once in awhile because I pulled it down too far.

9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

10. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

Yes, it is the new designed commercial. I like everything about the mower except the drive. It is balanced out very well, mulches great, It is faster than then the Toro, and the hydro drive is VERY smooth.