Just bought a new mig welder

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by Mike Nelson, May 3, 2001.

1. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Rob - In terms of running time, my fubar was only about 4-5 hours ago. The machine is still new, I have less than 60 hours on it. It has the 20 hp Kohler and runs really strong. I traded a 150 Weld 'n Power for the extra capacity (and electric start!) of the '8. I wanted a diesel, but the diesel option doubled the price.

2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

As long as it doesn't log any "freefall time" like the one I built a skid frame for, your Ranger should last a long time. The Hobart on my work truck has a 16-horse Onan, it's a good machine but at times I wish I had something bigger on board. We've also got a Weld 'n Power 150, and while I wouldn't want to be using it day in/day out, it's the handiest thing for jobs like minor repairs on marine railways/railings/etc at the waterfront properties common around Orillia. You know, the ones where the driveway ends about 150 yards from the shoreline - that's a LOT of cable to drag.

With the smaller (and fairly modern) machines like the Ranger 8 and "my" Hobart, gas is still fairly economical to run, especially if you use the auto-idle feature & avoid unnecessary idling time. As they get bigger, diesel starts to make more sense.

What I'd REALLY like is a 400-amp welder/compressor so I'm equipped for heavy welding and arc/air if needed. But the boss is still in a bit of "sticker shock" from the body/paint/mural on the work truck, so I don't think I'll see one of them for a while................

3. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Rob. My wife 'n me will be dusting it through Orillia tomorrow at about 8 am on our way to St. Catharines for the weekend. Probably not this weekend, but somewhere along the line, we'll probably meet up. I have friends in Orillia that we see about once a year.

4. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

How much does one of those 400 amps go for?
    Next year I plan to put a mechanics truck together,so I will need a portable welder/generator/and it has a compressor? Sounds cool to me. Hope it comes in diesel.

Thanks
    Mike Nelson

5. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Mike - I'm not sure of the exact $ figure but I know it's a l-o-t of money - I would be guessing $15,000+ Canadian. :eek: A machine that size would definitely be diesel.

These are big units, so unless you are going to be doing a lot of heavy welding and arc/air (for example, replacing cutting edges/tooth shanks on loader buckets)it may be "too much" for the application - it will have to be a fairly large truck (bigger than a 1-ton) to carry this unit plus torches & mechanics tools.

Of course, there is always the option of putting the big welder on a trailer along with torches and metal fab tools.

For a service truck application, a Ranger 8 like John has would probably work quite well, along with a self-contained air compressor. One of our customers got a new service truck for their heavy equipment mechanic last spring, they have a Honda gas powered compressor plus an air tank mounted on one side of the service body. The truck is an F550 4x4, it's also got a small IMT crane on it for handling those "Cat" parts.

6. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Rob,

You are right that seems a little to big for us.
    The Ranger seems to be a popular welder around the country.That is all we would probably need.

Thanks for your suggestions
    Mike Nelson