1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just bought a new Super Z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by TonyMeister, Mar 4, 2006.

1. TonyMeister

TonyMeister LawnSite Member

I'm not in the business, but my house is on a 10 acre lot that I really wanted to be able to mow myself. I work in a stuffy office everyday and it's a great feeling to get out in the sun every weekend and breath fresh air.

I did a lot of research and looked at Exmark, Toro, Ferris, John Deere, etc. In the end I chose the Hustler Super Z because of the clear quality of the product and the great things I read about it in this forum.

I got the 60 inch Super Z with a 27 Kohler. Here in Virginia the grass isn't growing much yet, but I took it out for a couple of hours and so far really like it.

I've got a couple of questions I'm hoping you guys could help me out with:

The manual seems to say never to engage the PTO when the machine is on full throttle. Does this mean that I should always put it at half throttle before hitting the PTO? Seems like a nuisance but I'll do it if you guys say I should.

Also, I plan to change the oil and filter at 5 hours, then at every 50 hours after that. I also plan to change the hydro filter and fluid at 50 hours and then at every 250 after that.

Does this all sound right? Also, are there any additives that I should use?

Thanks for all your help and thanks to Lawnsite.com for so much useful information that led me to buy the Super Z in the first place. Tony
  2. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

hey tony, i too live in va, just curious, what dealer did you go through, and was the experience a good one? thanks
  3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Hustler prefers you come back on the rpm's before you engage the clutch to about half throttle but I have had two 27's on Super Z's with 60" decks and they were normally engaged at full throttle and I never had any problem. I am not saying this might not cut the life of the clutch but if it goes out they have plenty in stock. The rest of your fluid changes looked good and believe me you will really enjoy that mower.
  4. turf source lawn care

turf source lawn care LawnSite Member

yeah saw your post and to answer your questions you can engage the pto at full throttle it will not hurt the machine. And as far as changing your oil your about right every 50 hrs is what i change my engine oil at. Also to let you know you shouldn't need to change your hydro oil and filter about every 500 hrs just keep an eye on the oil level .
  5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Congrats on your new mower and welcome to the family!!!
    Always engage your deck at the lowest possible RPM, as in the lowest engine speed that when you engage the deck the engine doesn't stall, this will greatly reduce the wear and load on the clutch.
    Generally this would be about half throttle, and try and do it where the deck is not already under load, as in tall grass...
    Your schedule on the oil changes sounds good, although you don't need to change your hydro oil until 500 hours.
    And also use the Lubrizol oil additive in the hydro system, per your owners manual.

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

This simply is not true.
    Better clutch life will come from engaging at a lower rpm.
  7. TonyMeister

Hey Palmer...I got my Hustler at Theros Equipment in New Baltimore (Warrenton), VA. The guy I dealt with is Dean Elgin and he was extremely helpful.

Since I like to take care of my things, I did not want a scratched-up machine that had been kept outside, so he ordered one for me and delivered it to my house personally and free of charge.

I highly recommend Theros Equipment and Dean Elgin. Tony
  8. TonyMeister

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I will change the oil at 5 hours, then every 50 hours, but I won't hassle with the hydro fluid until it hits 500 hours.

Actually, since I'll only be putting about 200 hours on it each season, I'll probably just change it at the beginning of each.

Thanks again for all the great advice. Tony
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Here is a tip for engauging the PTO at low RPM's....

Put it to approx 1/4 throttle (just a hair above idle), then pull on your choke a bit until the engine just starts to sputter. Then engauge the PTO, and then return the choke to full open.

The choke trick works really well, and prevents stalling....especially on those cold damp mornings when the clutch is grabby and the engines cold.
  10. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

thanks tony for the dealer name