Just bought a Stihl

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chrisk, Jun 7, 2002.

1. chrisk

chrisk LawnSite Member

Just finished using my new fs85 and let me tell you that thing is a champ!!!!!!!!

I had bought a new trimmer 2 weeks ago (won't say brand)
    and it was the worst starting trimmer I have ever used.
    The dealer couldn't even get it started, and he changed the plug, plug wire, and several other items and it never would start.

Anyway, for anyone looking at the fs85,,,,,,,go for it!!!!!!!!!!!11
    It's a trimming machine.

To those who already have them,,, is there anything special I need to do to this trimmer???? Any secrets, or tricks???

Chris Kelly
  2. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

:D I love my Stihl FS-85. There's nothing special you need to do. Just keep it well maintained. Most of time you only will need to trim at half throttle because this thing is so powerful! :D
  3. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an FS80, 85RT, and FS200R. If you have anymore questions I could probably help you.
    Not much you have to do to these machines and it will last for a long time. My FS80 is 4 years old and I cant kill the thing! (I do about 8 hours a week heavy weed, and brush trimming during the summer)

If you think the 85 is powerful you should run the 200R one time:blush:
  4. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

I've been using my FS85 for two years, still running strong as the day a bought it, it has the most power of any trimmer out there.

Just one thing to remember with a new trimmer is to follow the break in period correctly, if you do this you'll be in good shape. I believe you should not run at full throttle for the first 12-15 tank fulls, but as someone said earlier half throttle is plenty!!!

Good luck with your business!

JIm- Rosemark Lawn Service
  5. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

I bought my Stihl trimmer 5 weeks ago and the cutter head fell off due to the part that holds it to the shaft broke and I get to wait 1 1/2 weeks before the part arrives under warranty, I had thought that it was an upgrade from the ryobi trimmer that I was using trouble free for 4 years and counting
  6. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I have 4 fs 85's two which I bought in 98. I put between4-5 hours a day on them. One of them is about dead and the other is still running strong. I think I've gotten my $275 worth:) Run high octane fuel 91+ and you'll get as many hours I have.
  7. lawnrangers

lawnrangers LawnSite Member

i have 2 fs-85s,love them i think they are the best.....
    congrats on new toy........
  8. Pelican

Pelican LawnSite Member

I've got two FS-85s, one FS-80 and one HS-80. One of the FS-85s is four seasons old and stihl (pun intended) going strong! The only trouble I've had is the ignition kill wire has broken on the 85s and you have to choke them to shut them off. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
  9. danny van hoozer

danny van hoozer LawnSite Member

I've been using my new FS 85 for a couple of weeks now. Wow, what a difference from my BG 2100 I've had for three years now. My BG 85 is so much more balenced than that Echo is. More power and less vibration. And it's the same weight of the 2100. In reading the owners manual, it says not to run at full throttle for three tanks of gas. You know what they say [if all else fails read the owners manual].
  10. tim cooper

tim cooper LawnSite Member

I got the 85 model. Type that has interchangeable head trimmer/edger. Had it 3 years............. still runnin strong. I just changed the spark plug for first tiime. Keep air filter clean and as above high octane fuel.... rock on!!!!