just bought a super Z, right move?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by readycutlawncare, Jan 1, 2008.

1. readycutlawncare

readycutlawncare LawnSite Member

hey guys i just bought a 60" super Z, with the 30hp kolher. a friends recommended this machine to me but now after reading all the threads it sounds like i spent my money on the wrong mower. do you guys think i need to return this mower and buy a exmark or scag?

2. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

i have heard great things from hustler mowers. I would get one if they were around me. Everybody loves exmark on here but there not the only good mower.

3. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

I've had a Hustler Mini-Z for 3 years now.....no regrets whatsoever. It has been a very reliable machine and performs well.

Congratulations on your new mower, I believe you'll really enjoy it.

4. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

id be more interested to know what kind of accounts you are going to use this huge mower for...?

5. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

You have purchased a great machine.

6. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone has opinions - good & bad. If your dealer is reputable and YOU are comfortable with your purchase, you have the right machine. :usflag:

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

In that area I see no problems with a Super Z. I have owned one and didn't like the cut in Northern grasses but in the Raleigh area I see no problems. Some of the first 30 hp Kohlers had carb problems but that should all be worked out by now. I've owned Grasshopper, Scag, Exmark, and a Super Z. The Super Z is one of the best handling, smoothest ZTR's out there. I would consider the Flex forks, they will really smooth out the ride. Also most of us ran8-10 psi in the tires for a very smooth ride. Good luck. If you were in my area I would have suggested a different mower but for the low country in N.C. I think you will be fine.

A 60" deck is standard for this area, I don't think anyone here would consider that a huge mower.

8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I have to agree with tacoma ... you got a good machine, so don't second guess yourself and don't look back !!

9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I demoed a Hustler. I loved it. I would get the flex forks, they make a big difference.
    I think Hustler makes one of the best mowers. You made the right choice.

10. jcltyson

jcltyson LawnSite Member

In 2006 I purchased a similar unit (30 hp Kohler - 66" with flex forks). There were a number of issues I had with the mower in the beginning namely the afore mention carb problems, deck pulley problems and I had to replace 2 spindles. That may sound like a lot but the mower was used alot also... Once these items were addressed by the dealer it has been a pleasure to own it. I love the speed in open areas and the cut for eastern NC is great. If you have problems with the cut you may want to check with your dealer on some options Hustler has made available for problem environments (types of grass and weather conditions(air lift ket, etc.)) that might help the XR-7 deck in some cases.