1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just Bought an F-450

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Youngbeginner, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Youngbeginner

Youngbeginner LawnSite Member

I just bought a second truck for my landscape design/build company. It's a red automatic 1990 Ford F-450 SuperDuty with a 460 and a dump bed. It has 94,000 miles on it. I bought it (with hauling) for $4,600. It matches my 1990 red F-150, which worked out REALLY well. I can't wait to use it!!!!
  2. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

i bet u cant wait to gass it up either....get ready to take a loan out to keep that fueled up...did u ever stop to think that the money saved on using a new diesel truck, would pay for most of the payment vesus what u are going to spend on gas.
  3. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

as negative as this comes across i was thinking it but didnt want to say it. hope its not a daily driver and only for work other than pulling the landscape trailer.
  4. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

sorry for harshness, but the truth sometimes hurts.
  5. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

A new diesel engine will save you $700-800 a month in fuel over a 460 gasser? Not. If you are a beginner,and young the used truck was a good deal. What do you think the Insurance difference would be on new truck over a 17 year old truck? When you first start out strapping your self w/ big payments isn't always the best route.
  6. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

You gotta start somewhere and I think you made a good choice keep doing what your doing and in time you'll have the money to buy all new trucks. Your 17 and you don't need a new truck with huge payments start off small so you can afford it and then upgrade when your business picks up
  7. The Yard Barber Inc.

The Yard Barber Inc. LawnSite Member

my grandpa always said you got to crawl be fore you walk, and I used that strategy when I first started and it worked very well for me. low overhead means more profit and if your not going to use the truck to make long hauls then its perfect for you.
  8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

those trucks are sweet we got a 91 f350 4x4 witha 12' stake and a 9 ft plow those 460's are tanks theyll pass anything...but a gas station
  9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The 460 is heavy on fuel but if your only using it to haul sand gravel and topsoil burning a little extra gas isn't going to be the end of the world.

I had a 88 F-450 with a 11' dump 460 5spd yes the truck guzzeled back gas I sold the truck for the reason. I use the truck as a daily driver so its 6 mpg was getting a little expensive.

For 4600 dollars you will never find a diesel powered truck with a dump box I paid 8 grand for the 88 I had about 7 years ago.
  10. Youngbeginner

Youngbeginner LawnSite Member

Buying a new diesel truck would not be a good investment for me. I am in college, and only work 12 weeks out of the year.