Just bought my 1st Mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by smullen, Aug 28, 2005.

1. smullen

smullen LawnSite Member

Yesterday, I picked up a Exmark Metro 32" w 13HP Kawi... I got it for 2100. tax and everything....

I was gonna take the cash out of the bank, but I got it on the 6 Months No Payment, No interest (True No Interest, where I don't get hit with the back interest for the 6mos), then its like 3% for the rest.... I plan on paying it off in like 2-3 months... Then get my Trimmers and Blowers...

I brought it home and mowed my lawn for practice, the next door neighbor came out drooling and said, "Wow, I heard you were starting a LC, did you just get that? How much???"

I told him, then he was like man I want one of those, but I just can't fork out the cash just to do my yard...

So I said, Why fork out all the cash, when you can pay me 20.00 to do it....

So he gives me 20 bucks and says, from now on cutting it when you do yours...

To do his yard, took right about 15 minutes total... Then I ended up cutting 2 more neighbors....

2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

talk about easy money. and close to home for sure.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

The 32 only comes with pistols right? Start branching out in the neighborhood, then they will tell others and soon you'll have a good amount of lawns!! Good Luck and congrats on new machine!!!

4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

He's already off to a good start, so I imagine more will come rapidly.

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

please tell me you arent really cutting lawns for 20.00......

6. smullen

smullen LawnSite Member

Mine came with the Pistols, but you can order the ECS or whatever they call the newer style... Also, you can get it as an accessory to WBs that came with the Pistol style...

7. smullen

smullen LawnSite Member

You read it didn't you....

To be honest, I don't really give a **** about what you charge, or what you would or wouldn't drop your gate for....

If you are getting more, I really am happy for you...

Around here, you won't get more than that for the size of the yard I was refering too... I mean it took me like 15 minutes, no drive time the mower did not even touch the street... I just drove it across my yard into his....

8. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

Ahhhh,don't worry about what he said ,20.00 for 15 minutes that's 80.00 an hr.and you just drove across the street!!comgrats on the new mower and the accts. :blob4: :blob4:

9. eyes&earsopen

eyes&earsopen LawnSite Member

Congrats on the new mower and getting an acct right off the back. I had posted a story about doing my first work for my neighbor on here, and unfortunately it did not go down half as smooth as your situation. I got a whole bunch of different responses regarding how to handle it "correctly", but I was thinking that the situation should've played out like you and your neighbor. Had any luck with new accts. since? My immediate neighborhood has too many renters who don't care about their yards, and then I also live by several dedicated weekend warrior wives who cut their grass weekly! I can't get my wife out behind a mower!

10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I'm jellous