Just bought my first commercial (scag) walk-behind!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tsh1773, Jul 9, 2003.

1. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

I just asked a local dealer to service up a new scag 36" belt driven walk-behind with 13hp Kawasaki engine. (It's the one they had in stock) This is my first commercial mower and also my first scag. Let me know what you think and if I should sign the contract to purchase on Friday when I told them I would be by to pick it up. If you have one similar to this please let me know your experiences and if I made the right decision. FYI, there are no Hustler dealers near here. The dealer that sold this to me services all brands but only sells Scag and Simplicity. They're service yard was full of Toro's with broken frames, torn up trannys, and the Service manager told me Hustler and Exmark were ----.

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I think the service manager is looking for you to buy the scag thats why he thinks the exmarks are ----.but that just ain't true about the exmark,don't know about the other.I am looking into a 36"
    for smaller lawns and it will be a scag or exmark so I will be interested in seeing how you like the scag if you purchase it.

3. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

It's very likely that I will purchase it.

4. Rather Be Fishing

Rather Be Fishing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Scag set the industry standard for belt-driven commercial walk-behind mowers. My 36" Encore was based on Scag's design, nearly everything interchanges and it's been a faithful beast since '92 (granted it doesn't see as much action as it did during the first 4 or 5 years). The 12.5hp Kawasaki has been repair free, just basic maintenance. Best $2000 I ever spent. A friend who runs about 120 lawns a week bought a Scag 36" 2 years prior to my buying the Encore and he's still running it with his crew, the original Kohler 14hp still kicking along. 13 years of service and going--a pretty impressive piece of equipment in my opinion.

I think you'll be pleased for years to come.:cool:

As far as the Exmarks go, they've made alot of improvements over the years. The earliest models I ran left a decent cut, the primary drawback was the skinny belts they used slipping in wet conditions. The decks were lighter weight than the Scags which was o.k. from a comfort perspective but no so good for longevity. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one over the newer Encores since nobody stocks them anymore but if I had the extra cash, I'd go with the Scag.

Congrats/Enjoy!:)

5. jaredslawncare

jaredslawncare LawnSite Member

Sounds good

6. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 36" Scag w/b hydro, and real pleased with it.. I don't agree with the service manager saying the Exmarks are ----... I've never owned one, but know plenty of LCO's that love'em.. I almost got one but the Scag dealer in my area was much better than the Exmark dealer.. But all in all I'm happy with what I have..
    You would be happy with either one.. Good Luck!

Lou :cool:

7. brettmc

brettmc Banned

Buy it!! I have a 48" belt drive w/Kaw 14 hp. I bought it 3 yrs ago from a lawn pro (no tellin how old it is) and I've just done routine maint on it (tires, belts, brakes) and it has never put me down.

8. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

Congratulations on your purchase. I own a 48" belt drive Walk Behind with a 17 Kawi and the machine cuts great. Just follow the directions in setting the deck pitch to lean forward 1/4" and the machine will stripe great with the stock blades.

My only recommendation is to have your dealer install the optional hour meter. It will make it so much easier for you to track your maintenance. It costs about $80, but well worth the price.

9. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that would be a great buy, but if you can afford Hydro you wont regret it. I had a Scag 36" belt-drive for the past two years and this year I upgraded to a hydro version. If you have ever tried to back up a belt drive walk-behind you will know what I mean when I say hydro is way better. I had to pull back as hard as I could to get the belt drive to back up a hill but the hydro its no problem.
    I also found it harder to trim along curbs with the belt drive. It seems that if one tire is on the curb and the other is not it pulls terribly to one side. I have found that the hydro helps with this. Its all about operator input and fatigue. The Hydro raises the standard!!

Dont get me wrong the belt drive will get the job done but the hydro is better. Lets see how long it takes to start the debate!

Jimbo

P.S. Its easier to trailer the hydro because it prohibits the mower from moving on the trailer (along with the real parking brake).

10. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

dang, i just sold a 48" and 36" Scag walkbehind. both were hydro units w/ the 14 kaw.

i let the '98 48" go for $1500 and the '00 36" for $1400......

not that this helps you any now i guess, lol.