just bought new Ferris IS 3000

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Travis Followell, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We finally got a new Ferris today :cool2: . They will deliver it on Monday. It's got a 26 hp Kawasaki liquid cooled vertical shaft engine with a 61" deck. I can't wait till the grass starts growing :blob3:

2. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats on the new mower. Keep us updated on how it does.

3. Travis Followell

from KY

I sure will.

4. Travis Followell

from KY

I forgot to mention that it was $9400+ tax.

5. RobertCT

RobertCT LawnSite Member

OK Travis, Mondays past so what's the verdict? Have you test driven it on your property and does it meet your expectations compared to what you're used to?

6. Travis Followell

from KY

I drove it around today for the first time on our farm but I didn't mow with it. We probibly won't start mowing until the middle of next week. Anyway I took it over some of our roughest ground going full speed and the suspension really helped out a lot. Although I could still feel most of the bumps they were much softer and didn't jerk me or jar me like they would on a normal mower so the suspension is really great. It's like a vehicle on the road, you can feel the bumps but they are a lot softer so its more comfortable. Some of the areas I took it over at full speed were so rough (keep in mind this is a farm) that I still almost bounced off but those areas are as bad as it gets. I did turn the deck on for a couple of minutes to see what it sounds like and its loud. louder than our other two mowers. It's blade tip speed must be 19,000 fpm i'd say. I can't wait to mow with it. All in all were very happy with our purchase even though it cost quite a but more than most of the other big names we feel it was worth it and if you don't mind the extra cost then i'd definately recommend one.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats Travis...you know, that is all we run.

8. old dog

old dog LawnSite Member

The important thing is how it cuts and me thinks a suspension will make a bouncing deck
    with washboard looking cuts.How do they stabilize the deck in bumpy areas?And are the
    shocks any good or do they die quickly?

9. Apples

Apples LawnSite Senior Member

I'm glad to see you got the mower you really wanted! Good luck, keep us posted.

10. Travis Followell

from KY

The deck is attached to a-arms which is hooked to the suspension systemthat doesn't allow the deck to bounce but yet it follows the movement of the wheels and the flow of the terrain for a more consistent cut. I havn't actually mowed with it yet but I had the deck down driving over some of our roughest areas going almost wide open and it didn't hardly bounce any.