Just bought the used Exmark TTHP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BAMARED, Jan 9, 2003.

1. BAMARED

BAMARED LawnSite Member

that I mentioned earlier today. Wow, what a nice mower! To recap: It's a 2001 48", hydro, 17 HP Kawasaki twin that came with a Pro One dual wheel velkie. Estimated hours is < 100.

Is there anyone that could recommend tips/advice pertaining to this mower? Like the things that they've found out with their's that makes things easier - performance, servicing. etc.?

Thanks again,

BAMARED

2. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Always turn off the gas. If not you will have fouled plugs and or gas in the oil for sure.

I have a TTHP 36" and its wonderful!

3. 16 years of commercial mowers on trailer and never one plug fouled out or fuel in oil from not turning the fuel off. NEVER fuel in the oil.

So how would fuel get in the oil.

PCV valve prevents this, and the only way for fuel to get in the oil. If that is happening replace it.

Plugs foul out for all kind of reasons should change those every 4-500 hours anyways.

Tip grease it good, preferably the daily grease zerks.

4. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

Does it have the 17 horse you stated here or the 15 horse you stated in the other post. Seems a 15 horse would be a little weak. As for shutting the fuel off, I have only had a problem with one mower that needed carb. adjustments. Not telling you to not shut it off, just saying I have never had much trouble.

5. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats funny lgf. I suppose the Exmark guys have no clue either.

Manual, page-5-, section 1.4.14
    "The fuel system is provided with a shut-off valve. The fuel shut-off valve is used to shut off fuel when:
    1) The machine will not be used for a dew days.
    2) During transport to and from the job.
    3) When parking inside a building.

6. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

sometimes carbs fail to work properly and gas seeps buy and into the cylinder and then leaks past the piston rings going into oil . I myself have never had this happen to me but Im sure it happens . I myself have 400 other things on my mind when working during the day then remember to turn fuel on and off when not in use .

7. I never shut my fuel off or have had this problem.

I remeber reading that in the manual.

Doesn't happen every day.

Ghee I wonder how many actually "sut" their fuel off?

8. proscaper

proscaper LawnSite Member

How much did you pay for it?

JT

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I shut my fuel off on w/b's everytime. It is a habit, just like locking the brakes. I did have a problem. Kawi did not warrenty the problem due to the fact I didn't do things according to the book. Which is to shut the fuel off. I had 1/2 a tank of fuel run thru the carb and into the crankcase. Some people never have a problem, and some people don't know they may have a very small amount get into the oil without ever finding out.

I always suggest shutting it off. I have on this forum for several years. I do agree most people may never have a problem.

10. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I had the crankcase fill up on an old Bultaco I had in the '70s. It was a pre-reed valve engine and the carb was a del'orto I believe. Wasn't too much of a problem because it was a 2 cycle engine. It's probably a good idea to shut the fuel off but, I keep forgetting. Maybe I'll make a small reminder to place where I strap it down to the trailer. Hey, I just came up with a worthwhile new years resolution!